Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 RAV4 Limited with the 17'' OEM wheels. The RAV is a 4cylinder. I was looking to put 235 65 R17's on it,but i'm curious if anyone has any input on how a 245 65 R17 would fit? Will the 4cyl be enough for the tire size? Will they even fit without rubbing? Can't find much online. I don't play on doing any serious off-roading, basically dirt trails with a few puddles. More or less just want a better look, the factory tire size is a joke.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm worried about the powertrain if I go to big though... Do you think the 4cyl is enough to move the tires with ease on an everyday basis?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire Size non OEM

Tire Rack has a lot of statistical info on MOST tires they sell.

I went with 255X55 as adequate clearance both laterally and overall diameter.
255X60 are 3% off on the speedo but would also fit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We are running 235/65-17 cooper AT3 4S on our 4 cyl. They are great tires. They are a bit heavier than the recommended snow tires and weigh about 35 lbs each. The worn out stock sized goodyears I took off felt super light.
The acceleration with the old tires was almost uncontrolled from a stop to about 10 mph and it felt like the tires were spinning sometimes.
There was some performance and mpg drop with the new tires, but it was worth it to us. It drives more like a truck and does not have the 0-10 mph "spin up" that the old tires had. The stock tires were ok, but wore out quickly and spun a lot in the snow. The new coopers grip really well. You'll notice the weight for sure, but it's not bad. Increase your inflation pressure to ~40-45 psi and it gets better. We have a snow plow on our rav and the bigger/meatier tires are perfect. The extra meat really helps when plowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts