Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for A used Rav4 with the V6 and towing prep package. Probably an 07 or 08. Can anyone tell me an easy way to identify if a particular Rav4 has the towing prep package? Also, can anyone tell me what percentage of V6 Rav4’s in the USA have the towing prep package. Am I likely to find one or am I on a wild goose chase?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You can check the alternator fuse in the engine compartment fuse box on the driver side. Only the tow package has the higher amperage alternator with a 140 amp fuse. You should see on the fuse box back cover ALT 140A.

I don't know many have the tow package but all V6 have them in Canada which makes it easier. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our 2008 Limited with v6, was assembled & sold in Ontario, Canada.
- it came with the tow package as a standard option plus Limited fender flairs
- including cooler, HD radiator & alternator, 140 amp brown fuse, etc.
^^ But no 3500 pound Class III hitch receiver (from factory), mounted under rear bumper.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Frankly you are much better off looking for an '09 or newer than an '07 or '08. Adjust your budget. Look at my signature to see what models we own.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
What does the 09 have that the 07 and 08 don't?
I think it has more electronic gizmos, none of which I've ever had and T/F don't need. I believe all US 4WD V6 models have the tow prep package - and some FWD ones in Texas do too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We didn't need more electronics, and most happy with our v6 2008 Limited 4x4 / wife loves it.
- with leather, moon roof, PDS, heated front seats, heated wipers & hands free phone system
We found a private sale one loaded, with nice low mileage, near mint condition, full Toyota servicing (since new) and $5,000 cheaper avoiding Dealership markups.

Yes it has more road noise than our previous 2002 Volvo v70 (aka "built like a tank") and its no luxury Lexus brand either / but all good, none the less - plus the JBL stereo system hasn't got a great AM/FM radio.
- my old 2000 4Runner's radio rocks, is way better quality at tuning in station clarity
But the used RAV4's commonly suffer the same demons (^^), even if one steps up a few years newer & pays out more $,$$$.

Now if the 4 cyl. was being considered - that's a whole different matter / avoid '08 and older, due to oil consumption (in some) is more advisable.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How to identify a V6 with the Tow Prep package has been asked, and answered, many times. Don't be afraid to use the Search tool, it's your friend.

Here's my favorite answer (with pictures) from the ever-awesome JuneBug:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92062-finding-used-rav4-tow-package-how-can-i-identify-2.html#post934801

If it doesn't have the Tow Prep package, I believe the alternator fuse will be for 120 A.

A newer model will have (had) fewer issues with it. For example, the 06's and 07's tended to have coil pack problems, water pump problems, an oil hose with a rubber section that could fail, and no shield over the charcoal canister below the vehicle, for starters.

The later the model, the more issues were ironed out.

Best of luck in your search.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to get one from a private owner. But, it comes down to availability.
The 4 Cylinder model is out of the question. The main reason that I am getting this is to tow my boat. The radio will be replaced no matter what I buy.

I found an older post about how to identify the towing prep package, but the photos did not display properly. The post that you linked to shows more though. I was also trying to see how common the tow prep package was though. I might just be sold on an 09 though now. I'm not against spending a little more to get something better. But, at the price point of an 09 Rav4, I could probably get an 07 RX350.

Why do some Rav4's have the spare tire on the rear gate and others don't?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I think it has more electronic gizmos, none of which I've ever had and T/F don't need. I believe all US 4WD V6 models have the tow prep package - and some FWD ones in Texas do too.

I don't believe that is correct. I had to order the towing prep. package for my AWD V6 as an additional option and at an additional cost.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Under hood photos of Tow Package - our 2008 RAv4 Limited, v6, 4x4.
- I'd go for the '07 Lexus RX350 vs a '09 RAV4, in a nano second / be patient & find a cream puff
- don't rule out a v6 4Runner, on a truck platform / more cargo room, for fishing and camping gear

I just picked up a mint 2000 4Runner SR5, 3.4L, (80,000 original miles) & 5,000 lb. tow capacity.
No tow package - so it will get equipped with a B&M transmission cooler, electronic trailer brake module & 10 ply Firestone tires.
- to me, the older style is timeless / best all around vehicle, I've ever owned, in 45 yrs. of driving
- will pull a future recreation trailer (24 ft double axle) / for wife and I plus the family Doberman

Toyota full frame SUV & real truck 4x4 ruggedness / higher towing limits, than a uni-body vehicle.
- T4R lower gas mileage over a RAV4 / built like a tank with less electronics, to be concerned with

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'd love to get one from a private owner. But, it comes down to availability.
The 4 Cylinder model is out of the question. The main reason that I am getting this is to tow my boat. The radio will be replaced no matter what I buy.

I found an older post about how to identify the towing prep package, but the photos did not display properly. The post that you linked to shows more though. I was also trying to see how common the tow prep package was though. I might just be sold on an 09 though now. I'm not against spending a little more to get something better. But, at the price point of an 09 Rav4, I could probably get an 07 RX350.

Why do some Rav4's have the spare tire on the rear gate and others don't?
The ones without the spare are called S.A.P. or sport appearance package ravs...they come from the factory with run flat tires so a spare is not needed...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the run flats, how much does it cost when it is time to get new tires?

Can anyone give me information as to what is included at each trim level?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
With the run flats, how much does it cost when it is time to get new tires?

Can anyone give me information as to what is included at each trim level?
The run flats are about 2 bills each...I don't have them on anymore...I put on some aftermarket wheels and tires...and if you want to know what each trim level had available then Google whatever year rav you want to know about...like "2008 rav4 brochure"...Google will tell you everything you want to know...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Rav4 is #1 on the list because of gas mileage. Although I love the 4Runner, gas mileage is why it is not a contender. I like the RX350 exterior. But, I am not crazy about the interior of the the RX350. Leather and wood grain is not my style.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've called about 10 or so Rav 4's with V6's. Of the 8 or so people that got back to me, every one of them had the 140 amp alternator fuse. I thought that I would be lucky to find 1 or 2 that have it. I am going to look at one or more Rav 4's tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a few more indicators that I can see for myself that will confirm that the vehicle that I am looking at does in fact have the tow prep package?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sons 2015 LX350:

The Rav4 is #1 on the list because of gas mileage. Although I love the 4Runner, gas mileage is why it is not a contender. I like the RX350 exterior. But, I am not crazy about the interior of the the RX350. Leather and wood grain is not my style.
^^ I like the saddle tan leather interior, on a metallic black Lexus.
- leather wrapped & wood grain steering wheel, is comfortable & adds some nice bling

The rx350 is a sweet ride...I would not buy it due to the center console and shifter setup...
^^ Agree, the trans. shifter knob is mounted vertical, in the dash / takes some getting use to.
- but removing shifter from the center console, leaves room for a nice leather mouse / that interfaces with the 8" Navigation-Blue Tooth hands free screen, on dash top

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've called about 10 or so Rav 4's with V6's. Of the 8 or so people that got back to me, every one of them had the 140 amp alternator fuse. I thought that I would be lucky to find 1 or 2 that have it. I am going to look at one or more Rav 4's tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a few more indicators that I can see for myself that will confirm that the vehicle that I am looking at does in fact have the tow prep package?
Yes. Look for the "dog biscuit" bracket for the OEM hitch located just inside the rear bumper on both the driver's and passenger's side.

It's circled in the 3rd picture in this posting:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92062-finding-used-rav4-tow-package-how-can-i-identify-2.html#post934801

1 - 20 of 21 Posts