Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of issues with the SatNav & DAB radio, see attached document (23 pages):

2 SatNav defects.........................................................................................................3
2.1 SatNav changes preset heading direction.............................................................3
2.2 Calibrate SatNav as required to improve positional accuracy...............................3
2.3 Satnav map freezes whilst driving.........................................................................3
2.4 Displaying “Audio” screen and it switches to “Main” screen..................................4
2.5 Displaying “Energy” screen and it switched to “MAP” screen................................4
2.6 On setup multiple options highlighted and showing different to option selected...4
2.7 “Units of measurement” not adopted by all measurements..................................4
2.8 SatNav route entry does not provide an Alphanumeric keyboard.........................4
2.9 SatNav fails to display vehicle on road.................................................................4
2.10 SatNav is showing POI when the POI has been set to “NONE”.........................4
2.11 SatNav is inherently inaccurate...........................................................................5

Are others having these issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I drive a (belgian) RAV4 style and I have just 1 'problem', the map shows always nord above when in the home modus (3way splitscreen). And thats realy the only thing thats not perfect. My totyota dealer said that it wil be fixed with the next soft update .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I have the car only a week I have noticed some of the same issues but also have found some others (or I just don't know yet how to set the correct settings).

Home screen always shows north, no matter what is selected in the map. Map seems to forget the setting occasionally.
POI list seem to always show up when entering the highway no matter what is selected.
Keyboard is hard to use (with Finnish characters like ä and ö in town names), have to swap keyboard very often. Selecting destination is not logical.
Map can be set to always show day mode, but the rest of the media system changes to night mode anyway (and not at the same outside light levels as the automatic lights switch on). This means media system swaps to/from night mode way to often. I just noticed this today though so there might be a setting to solve this behaviour.
Automatic zoom doesn't work (not in map nor in home screen)
Almost every time I drive I get a relative quiet double deep somewhere 5-10 minutes after starting, like a warning or information sound. No message on any of the displays though to indicate what the meaning of sound is.
There doesn't seem to be a way to switch the media display off completely. In my last car I could switch it off when not listening to music.

Overall the media system is very disappointing, buggy, mostly hard to use and missing features.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I have the car only a week I have noticed some of the same issues but also have found some others (or I just don't know yet how to set the correct settings).

Home screen always shows north, no matter what is selected in the map. Map seems to forget the setting occasionally.
POI list seem to always show up when entering the highway no matter what is selected.
Keyboard is hard to use (with Finnish characters like ä and ö in town names), have to swap keyboard very often. Selecting destination is not logical.
Map can be set to always show day mode, but the rest of the media system changes to night mode anyway (and not at the same outside light levels as the automatic lights switch on). This means media system swaps to/from night mode way to often. I just noticed this today though so there might be a setting to solve this behaviour.
Automatic zoom doesn't work (not in map nor in home screen)
Almost every time I drive I get a relative quiet double deep somewhere 5-10 minutes after starting, like a warning or information sound. No message on any of the displays though to indicate what the meaning of sound is.
There doesn't seem to be a way to switch the media display off completely. In my last car I could switch it off when not listening to music.

Overall the media system is very disappointing, buggy, mostly hard to use and missing features.
Thanks for confirming my findings as the dealer and Toyota have confirmed.

Toyota's answer is that as my unit works the same as others it's how it was designed.

I cannot accept that Toyota designed a SatNav to randomly behave and not operated as expected.

All the issues are DEFECTS !

I'll add the bit about day/night mode as I have noticed it's changed at times and I don't understand what it was doing and didn't try to figure it out as I had many other issues, thanks for the observations.

BTW: The SatNav does ping when close to a speed camera but doesn't always show anything on screen. If the SatNav has mobile speed camera's it may bleep and there's nothing there. The beep should pop up a dialog box explaining why it's beeping.

For a £35,000 car the unit is atrocious and is inferior to what is provided on bargain basement cars costing £10,000. Even £50 mobile phone or cheap satnav are better !

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's a new version of the maps 2019v2 just downloaded and installed last night(1.5hrs to do this with the engine running) I will report on if fixes some of the issue it but yes the system is buggy as hell and designed for android phone users only. looking at the maps, the cameras area outdated in London and maps are at least 3 years old as i know when roundabouts were installed and are not showing. I have made a complaint to Toyota. Gracenote's database is non-existence getting system online been a mission as won't recognise my logins from my Toyota but won't let me register my email address ether as its already being used.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a number of issues with the SatNav & DAB radio, see attached document (23 pages):

2 SatNav defects.........................................................................................................3
2.1 SatNav changes preset heading direction.............................................................3
2.2 Calibrate SatNav as required to improve positional accuracy...............................3
2.3 Satnav map freezes whilst driving.........................................................................3
2.4 Displaying “Audio” screen and it switches to “Main” screen..................................4
2.5 Displaying “Energy” screen and it switched to “MAP” screen................................4
2.6 On setup multiple options highlighted and showing different to option selected...4
2.7 “Units of measurement” not adopted by all measurements..................................4
2.8 SatNav route entry does not provide an Alphanumeric keyboard.........................4
2.9 SatNav fails to display vehicle on road.................................................................4
2.10 SatNav is showing POI when the POI has been set to “NONE”.........................4
2.11 SatNav is inherently inaccurate...........................................................................5

Are others having these issues?
Regarding the SATNAV: I see a lot of "user inflicted errors"...
Just too much to explain here, but in general when you touch the NAV screen whilst navigating the screen will freeze the map on that position until you press "MAP" again.
A lot of zoom preset issues, and new road configurations that are not processed in the maps (usually running 1.5-2 years behind, in MOST vehicle brands!).
The POI issue is a setting (Display highway info or similar to that). Just deselect that.
The switch from any selected screen to MAP only occurs with active guidance. Any upcoming action will switch the screen to MAP.

Of course a lot of your issues are real issues, but a lot can be solved by reading the manual very good. It's far from a perfect system, but nevertheless not as bad as you describe here...
After almost 12.000km i think i know how it works. Took some time to get used to it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a new version of the maps 2019v2 just downloaded and installed last night(1.5hrs to do this with the engine running) I will report on if fixes some of the issue it but yes the system is buggy as hell and designed for android phone users only. looking at the maps, the cameras area outdated in London and maps are at least 3 years old as i know when roundabouts were installed and are not showing. I have made a complaint to Toyota. Gracenote's database is non-existence getting system online been a mission as won't recognise my logins from my Toyota but won't let me register my email address ether as its already being used.
As I drove away yesterday I noticed the car locked onto my wifi and started a download but I was driving away so lost wifi.

Just downloaded map v2 and transferring to a 64GB usb drive. I'll just update GB maps which should be much quicker. I'm assuming the others can be updated at a later date if required.

Would make sense if you could select what maps to download from Toyota rather than waste bandwidth and require large flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I drove away yesterday I noticed the car locked onto my wifi and started a download but I was driving away so lost wifi.

Just downloaded map v2 and transferring to a 64GB usb drive. I'll just update GB maps which should be much quicker. I'm assuming the others can be updated at a later date if required.

Would make sense if you could select what maps to download from Toyota rather than waste bandwidth and require large flash.
didn't get an option just for the UK the download 12gb unzipped to a 16gb fat32 USB sat in the car listening to an audiobook it locks up the in-car clock. think the locals think i am a weirdo. as i live on a green wifi ain't an option.

I have finally managed to connect my Toyota online have not tested maps but will do tonight on the route home.

on my drive to work noticed that the camera database is still off don't know how to update will try accessing estore later see it its there and cannot find where to get the Gracenote database and or any system updates. i am sure there will be more developments as the car ages.

As mines only 1.5k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't get an option just for the UK the download 12gb unzipped to a 16gb fat32 USB sat in the car listening to an audiobook it locks up the in-car clock. think the locals think i am a weirdo. as i live on a green wifi ain't an option.

I have finally managed to connect my Toyota online have not tested maps but will do tonight on the route home.

on my drive to work noticed that the camera database is still off don't know how to update will try accessing estore later see it its there and cannot find where to get the Gracenote database and or any system updates. i am sure there will be more developments as the car ages.

As mines only 1.5k miles on the clock.
I only listen to LBC, what does Gracenote do for me?

I'm guessing it's just a waste of space, I'd prefer a radio and satnav that worked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I only listen to LBC, what does Gracenote do for me?

I'm guessing it's just a waste of space, I'd prefer a radio and satnav that worked.
its more if you use your iPhone for music or a USB device like i do shows album artwork and info. going to use my phone as a hotspot and see if it picks it up as on my Toyota no information think its a when in range of wifi job which will not be an issue as i can link to wifi when at our holiday let in wales. in a few weeks.

DAB sucks in west wales as lose capital FM and most stations once past Cardiff.

satnav map keeps reverting to north2d and autozoom is intermittent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DAB sucks in west wales as lose capital FM and most stations once past Cardiff.
That's primarily a problem with the radio, I had a Suzuki Vitara with DAB radio, retune twice a year like DVB tv / Freeview and no problems. Toyota RAV4 DAB radio has no re-tune function !

It breaks up so much where the Suzuki never did, £35K car vs £15K car and the clear winner for DAB radio is the Suzuki !

£35K satnav vs £50 Chinese satnav and the clear winner is £50 Chinese satnav.

Toyota should be ashamed of making such CRAP !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took ~ 65 minutes to update using usb 3.0 64G flash.

Instructions on Toyota web site indicate you can select countries, I couldn't !

Don't really need to update (or even have) anything other than GB, I'm not going to drive to N.Ireland or any other part of Europe so it's a waste of space and time downloading / upgrading.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding the SATNAV: I see a lot of "user inflicted errors"...
Just too much to explain here, but in general when you touch the NAV screen whilst navigating the screen will freeze the map on that position until you press "MAP" again.
Screen NOT touched, unless it has gesture input I'm not aware of, screen NOT touched!

A lot of zoom preset issues, and new road configurations that are not processed in the maps (usually running 1.5-2 years behind, in MOST vehicle brands!).
I have been travelling down the roads shown for over 30 years, not new and if I manually set near zoom the roads are there. Auto-zoom isn't always selecting a road which exists, auto-zoom is CRAP, like the whole satnav.

The POI issue is a setting (Display highway info or similar to that). Just deselect that.
POI totally deselected yet it displays on motorways when following a route !

The switch from any selected screen to MAP only occurs with active guidance. Any upcoming action will switch the screen to MAP.
The screen switches with NO route selected!

Of course a lot of your issues are real issues, but a lot can be solved by reading the manual very good. It's far from a perfect system, but nevertheless not as bad as you describe here...
After almost 12.000km i think i know how it works. Took some time to get used to it!
I have read the manual many times, there's no explanation for the issues I see as their DEFECTS yet Toyota claim they are bye design, who'd ever design something not to work.

Like Boeing trying to say all 737-MAX8 will crash if the same happens, not acceptible.

The manual clearly says to calibrate the SatNav but it is not possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Step 10 of Toyota install instructions:
You can also select on a country-by-country basis using the ‘Select by country’ button. Here you can choose your preferred countries, as well as checking how much system memory your selection uses (‘Your percentage’). The estimated time to upload the changes to your device is also shown; in above example this is around 23 minutes.

It didn't do this !

·
Registered
851 Posts
Screen NOT touched, unless it has gesture input I'm not aware of, screen NOT touched!

I have been travelling down the roads shown for over 30 years, not new and if I manually set near zoom the roads are there. Auto-zoom isn't always selecting a road which exists, auto-zoom is CRAP, like the whole satnav.

POI totally deselected yet it displays on motorways when following a route !

The screen switches with NO route selected!

I have read the manual many times, there's no explanation for the issues I see as their DEFECTS yet Toyota claim they are bye design, who'd ever design something not to work.

Like Boeing trying to say all 737-MAX8 will crash if the same happens, not acceptible.

The manual clearly says to calibrate the SatNav but it is not possible.
So, why not return to your dealership? Almost none of your "issues" seem to occur with the lot of us. Should make you think.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Shouldn't take 12,000km to figure out how to use satnav, ie work around it's deficiencies!

£35k RAV4 satnav is CRAP !
Never said it took me 12.000km... Only saying that i know the system well, and learned to live with some minor issues. But as i read your complaining i don't think this can be fixed. It's in your head now!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts