Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dealer to upgrade my 2013 RAv4 Limited AWD with Nav & JBL. The dealer told that he will be giving 18,500 and new one for 2016 Limited is 31000 out the door. What do you guys in this situation.

My car is having 50k miles with 2 minor incidents reported and windshield breakage.

Thanks. Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh nooooo. I love my 2013 Rav4 but the only issue which driving me to buy new one is having 45k miles and 2 incidents in carfax.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ravitejach: Can you take a photo of your 2013 Radio - The USB playback by Folders, please?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
The 2.5L 4 Cyl and 6 speed transmission have been around a long time and are very reliable. Treat them well and there is no reason you shouldn't go over 200,000 miles without issue. Like any car, other parts may be changed along the way but the powertrain shouldn't be an issue. 45,000 miles is still pretty low if you ask me. Regarding the carfax incidents, they will always work against you on trade no matter how old the car is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Only you can truly make this decision. I would imagine that there is going to be a pretty significant cost for this upgrade given that you have been paying for the 2013 Rav for several years and you have a lot of money invested and will just be starting that over with a new car.

The only situations where I would do this would be:
-To get a hybrid and upgrade on fuel economy.
-To get a lower car payment if cash was tight.
-To get additional features, assuming I am willing to pay the extra cost.

Otherwise, 45,000 miles is really nothing (my Corolla is at 190,000 and runs like a dream). I suggest waiting a little while and see how you feel in a few months. In the meantime, you can keep paying down the 2013 and turn the trade-in value of the car into a larger downpayment. Make it a challenge and try to get a dealer to give you $18,500 for it next year. You might be surprised what happens!

One last thing to add, the dealer is rarely looking out for your best interests. They are just trying to sell you a new car. So just make sure to really think about if the new car makes you happier than your current car (or is more dependable, safer, etc) and if you can afford the added cost. Without knowing any more than you have currently told me, your current Rav is probably no less dependable or safe than the 2016 model.

·
Registered
644 Posts
And the "Advanced Technology Package" in 2016 is useless like bunch of crapware.
Voice commands is a joke, JBL has no bass, NAV is outdated, etc...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only reason I'd upgrade is if I were to go for the hybrid model or you wanted the Toyota Safety Sense package (note only a few members on this board have had the experience of the PCS - pre collision system - activating during a close call encounter that could have resulted in rear-ending the car in front)

Even the next generation RAV4 that may come out as a 2018 model will not be a much more technologically advanced vehicle though since TSS is already offered for the 2016 models.

Maybe wait for the 2017 models to come out and close down on that price differential?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh nooooo. I love my 2013 Rav4 but the only issue which driving me to buy new one is having 45k miles and 2 incidents in carfax.
Why would 45K miles be an issue?

I got 200K on my last car. At 45K your RAV4 is hardly even broken in yet.

Two incidents in Carfax is a reason to keep your car not get rid of it. You lose value when you have an accident, so you wouldn't get as much for it if you sell it. On the flip side, unless the two accidents affect drivability, they shouldn't matter to you at all.

Trading in an almost new car for a hybrid to save money on gas makes no sense. Any $$ saved on gas would be lost by trading in your nearly new car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was in the same boat last year with my CR-V ended up keeping it, if the car is running great and no issues, I would just keep it, which I did and it continues to serve my family great! Save the money for another car! My money ended up with us getting a 16 RAV4 haha!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts