Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 has about 160000kms on it. Thinking about changing the struts. Anyway suggestions on which brand?

Oem ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
what model of the Rav4 do you have? Are you happy with the struts (well happy before you noticed they were worn)?

I have the sport model and if my struts wore out, I'd replace them with the OEM ones. Regardless of what model I owned, I would go back to OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have the opposite view of Rancidx2. I would definitely go after market. For some engine stuff OEM all the way. Toyota doesn't make struts. They buy other manufactures struts and install them. They also don't buy the best strut out there for cost saving.

When it comes time to replace my front strut I will go with sachs. You might want to replace the spring. I would go with OE because it is hard to find the right spring rate. The pre loaded struts are typically low quality.

For the rear sachs or bilsteins.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the opposite view of Rancidx2. I would definitely go after market. For some engine stuff OEM all the way. Toyota doesn't make struts. They buy other manufactures struts and install them. They also don't buy the best strut out there for cost saving.

When it comes time to replace my front strut I will go with sachs. You might want to replace the spring. I would go with OE because it is hard to find the right spring rate. The pre loaded struts are typically low quality.

For the rear sachs or bilsteins.
My sport came with bilsteins (blue), front and rear.

If my vehicle was being used for some off-roading, I'd definitely be going aftermarket. I find the ride a bit mushy for most of Toyota's line. The Rav sport is a bit jone jarring when it gets into rougher roads. My 07's struts were definitely worn when I traded it. It went from the bone jarring ride at times to almost limited ride. :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
My sport came with bilsteins (blue), front and rear. :D
Blue Toyota OEM Sport struts & shocks are actually manufactured by Tokico. You will see the manufacturer name on the parts sticker and it's not Toyota. They are not the most forgiving dampers out there but your aftermarket choices are few for the Rav4. Not sure if you can even find Bilstein struts but I heard Sach & Bilstein rear shocks are out there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far ive got a set of Bilsteins for the rears.

Fronts are original. Looks like Bilstein doesnt make struts for the rav.

Ill check out the other venders mention and see what the reviews are like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Sport model comes with Blue Struts/Shocks so to clarify do both (fr/rr) say Bilstein on them?
The pair of blue rear shocks were replaced on my Sport due to leakage on one of them. I requested the old parts be retained. The old parts each has a sticker saying it's manufactured by Tokico. It's definitely not Bilstein.

I have no experience on the blue front struts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
sorry my bad DL175, meant to say Tokiko. I had my head somewhere in the clouds...confused it with the Taco. Front and rear should be all Tokiko. From what I can see the blue color is the same. Thanks for the correction CanuckRAV4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts