Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
2GR-FE is also in the Venza which has a very nice AWD drive train and fancy 6 speed which are a lot nicer than the rav 4.3. All of which does not stand much of a chance of fitting in a 4.1 or 4.2. The Venza is huge, even bigger than the rav 4.3 and bigger than the Avalon. The Venza drive train is sweet but the area under the hood is massive and its still a some what crowded bay. Of course in a 4.1 a built 2az-fe from a 4.2 rav, scion tc, or camry would be quite fast and there a lot of tuner kits for the 2az-fe since the scion tc has a cult following.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just googled 3mz and saw celica conversions - that looks promising and since it's a common engine you could probably find a very cheap donor car.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I would definitely contact user the The Drifter (certified mechanic who has done engine swaps before) or wolf tm250 (who is an engine builder by trade).
Both are not visiting this forum at the moment, so you will have to PM them and hope for the best.

They can help you further in the search for the best fitting and best solution for what you like to do. Notice that replacing an engine usually is VERY time consuming, very costly and a headache for the not so experienced DIY-er. Also notice that a lot of the engines out there for sure will not fit in the RAV4. There are fairly limited amount of real fits.
Plus you have to serious take into account your 4WD system which can be easily getting you into trouble if not fitting properly.
Greetz

Pim

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would definitely contact user the The Drifter (certified mechanic who has done engine swaps before) or wolf tm250 (who is an engine builder by trade).
Both are not visiting this forum at the moment, so you will have to PM them and hope for the best.

They can help you further in the search for the best fitting and best solution for what you like to do. Notice that replacing an engine usually is VERY time consuming, very costly and a headache for the not so experienced DIY-er. Also notice that a lot of the engines out there for sure will not fit in the RAV4. There are fairly limited amount of real fits.
Plus you have to serious take into account your 4WD system which can be easily getting you into trouble if not fitting properly.
Greetz

Pim
Guess you are right. Will in deed do. :thumbs_up:

I've been doing engine swamp quite often, before I got married. The most important aspect is not to be caught short of funds. This will slow down the project big time. I've place 13B Rotary engine in a 73 Dodge Colt. It was a street sleeper. Everything was stock. Except the engine. The most problem was the exhaust, it was a little loud. But my dads employee kept it quite and very low profile. A ton of fun especially in the night lights in SJ. Rich guys with their expensive cars and rich girlsfriends always wanted to showoff and challenge my old little Dodge. Until the light turned green.:eek:

(No this one wasn't it)

Looking at this:

This should be my best shoot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 3mz/5mz should fit in your engine bay and bolt to your existing gearbox (manual assumed) with a custom flywheel.

If you have an auto, you may be able to use the flywheel from the motor and torque converter from the box (if the bolt pattern is the same.)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3mz/5mz should fit in your engine bay and bolt to your existing gearbox (manual assumed) with a custom flywheel.

If you have an auto, you may be able to use the flywheel from the motor and torque converter from the box (if the bolt pattern is the same.)
First of all, I have a 5 speed, :cool:. Regarding the Flywheel, I think I'll need a Camry flywheel. Pricey though, 350.00+.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Hmmm . . . would it be easier, less expensive, and yield at least nearly the same amount of power to go with a turbo or supercharger conversion for your existing engine? Or not . . .

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hmmm . . . would it be easier, less expensive, and yield at least nearly the same amount of power to go with a turbo or supercharger conversion for your existing engine? Or not . . .
As all the old guys know. I HAVE the turbo kit in my garage. But when you've had a Chevy Nova with a 383, you become addictive to torque. Remember, this 3SFE engine already has 100k miles come this summer. (BTW, I'll run it on the DYNO in the next few weeks) A freshly rebuild V6 will quench my thirst for power, and then some. Who knows, it even might get some twin forced induction. :eek:

I always wanted to extract the max out of the 3SFE engine. It has run VERY well with great power. This will be evident on the DYNO run. Then again I'm not expecting wild numbers, but enough so it can backup what it had been doing on the road. I know some member are interested to know how much power is this almost stock engine doing. I did a lot of little inexpensive mods that in the long run, made a big difference. Which were:

The Intake K&N
Front horn Pipe
Pivot Voltage Stabilizer
Pacesetter Header
The Manifold Plenum
The MSD 6A
Grounding kit from Pivot USA
Amsoil in the trans-axle with oil cooler for both
The muffler system 2.25
Cherry Bomb Muffler
Magnaflow Muffler
Grounded muffler system :eek:
Exhaust Wrap (front to rear)
The Apexi NEO
The AEM Gauge

I upgraded the suspension and brakes system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First of all, I have a 5 speed, :cool:. Regarding the Flywheel, I think I'll need a Camry flywheel. Pricey though, 350.00+.
OK, I think you could also use a flywheel from a 3vze Hilux Surf, but it would need to be machined a bit... One of those would set you back a bit less, cheaper still if it came from a scrap yard. (This is what I'm using, with a 3vz-fe, but the 3/5mzfe bolt pattern should be the same.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be warned, a RAV 4 with a V-6 requires a pilot's license, with clearances for supersonic. My 2010 V-6 can be a handful under even near full throttle. If it weren't for the traction control, I'd be on a new set of tires (at least the fronts).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts