Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if the 2010 v6 3.5l has a factory installed pre towing package. And, am I screwed because i just bought a r pod 180 gvwr 2350 and the 2010 rav4. Can I still tow if i dont have the tran. cooler? Can i get one installed. Please help. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Welcome! You didn't complete your profile so we don't know for certain where you are located, but if your user name is a clue, it is my understanding that all V6 RAVs which were sold in Canada have the factory towing package. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure after scouring the net, BIOGSON is right. To be sure i will return to the dealer and check the fuse.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It is my understanding that Blogson is correct.

The Search tool is your friend. Here is my favorite post from JuneBug which has photos showing where the fuse is located to determine whether or not you have the Tow Prep package:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/98257-how-many-amps-my-alternator.html#post993953

This post also has pictures showing the "dog biscuit" brackets (which only came with the Tow Prep package for use with the OEM hitch) just inside the rear bumper:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92062-finding-used-rav4-tow-package-how-can-i-identify-5.html#post2251265

That whole thread may actually be the same as for your situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rav definitely has tow package.Getting Toyota to install hitch, wiring, and brake. Just bought a trailer 2800 pounds. So lots of room left over

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
even with the tow package, you will still need a transmission cooler if you plan to keep your transmission in good shape. I fitted the biggest cooler I could fit, and I still see 225F temps, without the cooler the temps would be over 250F.

also be carefull of how much weight is on the back axle, the compact rear suspension under load will mess up the camber and wear out the inside of the tires in no time, I wore to the polyester ply my rear tires in one 500 km trip because I was too low in the rear.

·
Registered
641 Posts
even with the tow package, you will still need a transmission cooler if you plan to keep your transmission in good shape. I fitted the biggest cooler I could fit, and I still see 225F temps, without the cooler the temps would be over 250F.
I think you posted your tranny cooler install at the time. Did you find over-cooling in the frigid winter temperature when not towing?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I think you posted your tranny cooler install at the time. Did you find over-cooling in the frigid winter temperature when not towing?
in winter it usually stays around 120F, 145F if I put a plastic bag over the cooler. maybe a bit colder than it should but doesn't seem to affect drivability.

·
Registered
641 Posts
in winter it usually stays around 120F, 145F if I put a plastic bag over the cooler. maybe a bit colder than it should but doesn't seem to affect drivability.
Thanks. Probably okay with synthetic tranny fluid, if that's what you're using?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thanks. Probably okay with synthetic tranny fluid, if that's what you're using?
I'm actually still using the oem fluid, bought amsoil but didn't have time to change it yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts