Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My relatives prefer CRVs even though my dad convinces them to buy a Rav4. I mean c'mon, all Rav4s look better. They have been CRV owners for the past 15 years. Maybe because Honda knows how to attract people by their interiors than Toyota's boring plastic tastes. Me and my dad are the only ones that prefer these small gas guzzlers.

6 years after owning the 4.2, my dad had to let it go due to being inefficient in fuel consumption. Although the ride is more comfortable than my 4.1, we really do have to let it go. After that, the newer CRV was added in our residence leaving my 4.1, as the only little Rav4 among all CRVs. If cars could talk, my rav would have already taken a lot of f*cks from those Hondas.

Time went by, my dad had thought of buying a 2nd gen CRV as well. It was a nutty period, till the Ford Ecosport debuted. My dad was outstanded and bought it cuz that car had reminded him of the 4.2 Rav. TBH, it does look like a 4.2 Rav, only smaller and a bit uglier. Although It's ridiculous to drive that little CVT dog, I'd still prefer it than a CRV. Not that I hate the CRV, it's just too overrated in my perspective.

And so let's go back to RAV4 vs CRV. Most relatives and people I know that own CRVs work in offices and has a classy-like lifestyle, the sort of thing that bores me to death. While the Rav4 people I know of, also work in offices but they are more adventurous. They like to travel more get down and dirty than the people I know who own CRVs.

In general, there are more people fund of adventures with RAV4s than CRVs. Is it like the Rav4 has a more sporty design that's why it attracts "sporty" and adventurous people? This is the case here in our country, Philippines. Does that apply to other countries as well?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I compared RAV 4.1 and CRV of the same years very carefully. The Hondas had many more air conditioner issues and the AC compresser cost twice as much. Also on 4wd models, CRV were more likely to have problems with rear differential and 2wd models of CRV were rarer.
I did like the interior of the CRV of those years better than the RAV : there seemed to be more room.
But I love my RAV and there's plenty of room in the back after I took the rear seats out :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
i'd share the same reaction. my wife and i bought our 4.4 back in 2014. i was actually aiming for the 4runner but since budget was tight that time we settled with the rav. though i bit heavy hearted going with the rav, looking at the crv before we went to a toyota dealership in our area lifted up my spirit because comparing the two (CRV and Rav) the rav wasn't bad at all. then 6 months after my dad bought a crv (my dad and mom are both into honda's after they bought their ek in 1997). my love for our 4.4 only grew bigger after i was finally able to test Red's AWD capability. I got the chance to climb a sandy little hill during our trip to apple valley, ca. oh boy it was really exciting climbing a hill in about 35 to 40 degree angle. Red overcome the climb with ease. though i know that he's still wearing his stock dunlop street tires and was imaging how much fun could have it been if he was wearing a better suited rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
I quite like the look of the new style CR-V, I nearly bought one but the price was off-putting, you did not seem to get much more for your money over what the Korean SUV's had to offer. both the CR-V and the RAV4 have their issues too, likewise the Hyundai iX35 I bought is not immune, it just seems to have a less frequent rate of problem reports, and a nice price tag to match.
I looked at the Ford Ecosport breifly, but its ugly and very small (almost a bit skinny, like a Daihatsu Terrios), the Nissan Juke was cool and fun to drive, but again, too small, and hard to see out the back window.
I also wanted somthing with a conventional auto box, not some CVT, they do not have a good reliability rate here, especially Nissan, which was another reason not to go for a Auto Juke or Ecosport.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@jest That's good, soon enough you'd find more unexpecting stuffs a Rav can do in a good way. Also I have seen a thread here before but wasn't able to track it back, I read there that Honda has a limited source of off-roading knowledge. Maybe that's why they only have the Pilot as a full time 4wd, and it's not even good. Might be a reason people turn to the Rav4 for a bit more of this and that than a CRV.

@Aussie50 Yeah I kinda agree with that. The Koreans are really coping fast, on quality and ride comfort. But I'm just comparing the rivalry world of CRV and RAV ever since they were brought up in to this world.

The Ecosport on the other hand, I like it for its size, the spare tire, how it accelerates lightly (but still slow) and how the seats are molded to my back. But I hate how it was put on CVT and the way it looks. I'd rather choose that honest and cheap but more capable, Daihatsu Terios.

·
Registered
599 Posts
@jest That's good, soon enough you'd find more unexpecting stuffs a Rav can do in a good way. Also I have seen a thread here before but wasn't able to track it back, I read there that Honda has a limited source of off-roading knowledge. Maybe that's why they only have the Pilot as a full time 4wd, and it's not even good. Might be a reason people turn to the Rav4 for a bit more of this and that than a CRV.

@Aussie50 Yeah I kinda agree with that. The Koreans are really coping fast, on quality and ride comfort. But I'm just comparing the rivalry world of CRV and RAV ever since they were brought up in to this world.

The Ecosport on the other hand, I like it for its size, the spare tire, how it accelerates lightly (but still slow) and how the seats are molded to my back. But I hate how it was put on CVT and the way it looks. I'd rather choose that honest and cheap but more capable, Daihatsu Terios.
I do miss the rear mounted spare tyre, but the new RAV and CR-V does no better than the Korean cars, I had to change a flat on Katie the Ix35 a few months back, and emptying the trunk to get to the spare is a pain!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts