Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you Google Toyota white paint issues, there are numerous posts regarding peeling paint on white painted Toyota vehicles including the RAV4. It appeared that most of the issues were for earlier model years up to 2016. There also seemed to be a "one process/coat" change in the way Toyota painted the cars, in which they combined the clear coat into the primary coat, instead of a separate clear coat on top of the primary coat. My dealer stated there really was no option to get a clear coat, or some kind of protective layer added and that "Toygauard" was only a $700 wax and interior job. Has anyone had any issues with peeling white paint, and are there any options to get additional protection?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
There are several kinds of "white paint", so you need to specify which one you are asking about. The Blizzard Pearl has had sporadic peeling issues, but this is a multi-coat and clear coat process paint.
I'd suggest you ignore anything a dealer told you, they really are clueless. Anyways, I've had a 2013 and 2016 model with Blizzard Pearl and no peeling.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I saw that some owners received letters from Toyota regarding the peeling issue to include Bizzard Pearl. That's what I have, but I have not received any letters about it...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have a 2011 highlander with 167k that sits outside in Michigan winters

I rarely wash it. Paint is fine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Someone did post a letter but its a bit misleading as it wasn't for their new Rav4... I would expect if there was a recall, they are improving things moving forward...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's the thread (the letter is the second post):

·
Registered
794 Posts
My wife got a letter about her 2011 Avalon 70k but we don't have any issues. I had a '12 Prius v, 53k no issues. My son has a '11 Prius (203k miles, parked outside at work every day), no problems. I bought a '19 Rav4h (~5k), no problems. Of course, all white. Both pure white and blizzard while.

Can't say I've seen any with problems either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's the thread (the letter is the second post):
I have a blizzard pearl XSE. I have some "oily" looking spots that are clearly visible on the black top. I showed the dealer and they have no clue what they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts