Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the RAV4 has privacy glass (the rear tint), but do all the windows (front and back) have UV protection? For my old Lexus, the windows had the words "UV" stamped in the lower corner so I knew those had it. But that was an old 2009 year car and I thought since then it became a standard feature on all Toyotas. Also, I have the RAV4 LE if that matters, not sure if Toyota would use different window glass for LE, XLE, and Limited.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
All glass is UV protecting. Only super-expensive, un-obtanium quartz glass passes UV. We can't get it or afford it, and we don't want it.

What fades dashes and upholstery is just plain old heat & visible light.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

"In the majority of modern cars, the windshield is built of laminated glass that blocks all of UVB and the vast majority of UVA. However, the side and rear windows are usually made from non-laminated glass and let much of UVA through. Clear non-laminated car windows allow up to 60-70% of UVA to penetrate. Tinting reduces UVA penetration to about 15-30%, a much better but still significant level."

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Our side window-oriented arms become sunburned if we drive for any significant distance and the sun is shining directly through the side glass in our CR-V and RAV4.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

Thank you for the information, Bob. I'm going to share it with a surgeon and dermatologist friend. He is a scholar of skin cancers and has, in the past, shown some serious errors in such reports. Good research is very often a non-intuitive thing; I just can't shake the disappointments I have experienced with so many similar claims.

Very much of the article you point to is copy/pasted and mildly edited in other sites so the frequency of search hits is inflated. Nonetheless, better more information is better than none! Again, thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agree with davewri and Pico. My transitions would not darken in my Rav. With my past vehicles I would have window tinting installed to the legal limit....or a bit beyond...sssshh. I usually always use sun shades for the front. Even in the winter! Getting back to what Pico stated. Very true that - just the heat alone does damage -expansion contraction etc. too. Getting sunburned has a lot to do with the time of the year, length of time exposed, skin type, and going from skin that's not been exposed (winter to spring, long sleeves to short) at all. Meaning folks that go on vacation to the tropics in February from the East Coast versus folks that live in Florida are more highly likely to get fried. If still concerned, get your windows tinted. It does help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts