Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just bought a Rav4 from an auction. The car seemed to be fine while it was there, once I changed the oil and put in a full tank a gas. The car's engine noise changed especially during cold mornings. I looked at many of the posts and linked videos here and have concluded that it has the dreaded piston slap noise. So my question to you guys is how much trouble am I in. Should I try to get rid of the car or should I just keep it. Is there anything I can do to muffle the noise or reduce it at start. A bit about the car it is a base model 2009 RAV4 with the 3.5.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
How many miles are on the clock? Does the engine use any oil between changes? If not, the noise you are hearing probably isn't piston slap since that is caused by badly worn piston rings and if that were the case the engine would use oil, and probably quite a lot. The V6 is pretty bullet proof unless it has been badly abused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rav4

Hi, thanks for the reply. The vehicle has 109000 Kms. I have only done one oil change I didn't notice any shortage of oil. But what came out was very dark and quite a bit thicker than what i put in (castorl 5w30). I think that was probably a part of the reason why i didn't hear the sound when i checked out the car. Also, it makes the noise when it is being drive only. I did try different types of gas it was much lower when it was running on premium 91 but it was still there.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the earlier V6 had problems with the water pumps, sounds a bit like marbles in a tin can. assides from that, I never heard of piston slap on a rav4, oil burning on the 4 cylinder, but nothing for the V6...

maybe just injector noise?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. The vehicle has 109000 Kms. I have only done one oil change I didn't notice any shortage of oil. But what came out was very dark and quite a bit thicker than what i put in (castorl 5w30). I think that was probably a part of the reason why i didn't hear the sound when i checked out the car. Also, it makes the noise when it is being drive only. I did try different types of gas it was much lower when it was running on premium 91 but it was still there.

Thank you
I'd drive it for a while, you got nothing to lose. You could always put in a thicker oil, like the last guy apparently did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Octane, I'm pretty sure its not the water pump I have a 2004 Rav4 which had the water pump go bad, that sound was from the right side by the belt. This sound is louder can be heard in the cabin seems to be coming from the driver side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not a startup noise

Hey Junebug, I don't have the startup noise, it seems to continue on for a while till the car warms up, even then it is there but barely audible.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ravenuer, think that is the plan, i'm justing getting annoyed hearing the noise every morning. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I would not use thicker (higher viscosity) oil in the engine, especially since there aren't many miles on the clock. I've spoken with V6 owners who have 250,000 miles (not kilometers) on their engines and they still are using 5w-30 oil with no oil loss between oil changes. Using higher viscosity oil could actually result in increased engine wear, result in lower fuel mileage, and in cold weather make the engine harder to start in the morning. Suggest using 5w-30 per the Owner's Manual and the note on the oil filler cap, keeping an eye on the dipstick to see whether any oil is being used, and changing the oil per recommended intervals (hopefully you have the Owner's Manual, and if not hopefully it is available on Toyota Canada's web site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know definitely don't want to make things worse. I guess I'll stick to the 5w30. What are your thoughts on synthetic oil is it worth the money in this case or should i just stick to the regular stuff.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Regular dino oil is what is recommended for the RAV4 V6 but for the same engine in other Toyota vehicles synthetic is recommended, or at least shown as an alternative. I would stay with the regular dino oil but some members have used synthetic. With synthetic an advantage is that recommended oil changes generally are for twice the mileage (kilometerage?) of regular oil.

Often on this forum a query about engine oil results in an extended debate about the merits of this or that oil, so you may be besieged with opinions and answers! :wink

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I would not use thicker (higher viscosity) oil in the engine, especially since there aren't many miles on the clock. I've spoken with V6 owners who have 250,000 miles (not kilometers) on their engines and they still are using 5w-30 oil with no oil loss between oil changes. Using higher viscosity oil could actually result in increased engine wear, result in lower fuel mileage, and in cold weather make the engine harder to start in the morning. Suggest using 5w-30 per the Owner's Manual and the note on the oil filler cap, keeping an eye on the dipstick to see whether any oil is being used, and changing the oil per recommended intervals (hopefully you have the Owner's Manual, and if not hopefully it is available on Toyota Canada's web site.
In a perfect world all your points are completely valid. However, he already apparently has a problem with his car, so using a thicker oil for say, one oil change interval wouldn't significantly harm it. He could then determine if the noise disappears(or not) as a result of the thicker oil. He can always revert back to the 5-30.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
In a perfect world all your points are completely valid. However, he already apparently has a problem with his car, so using a thicker oil for say, one oil change interval wouldn't significantly harm it. He could then determine if the noise disappears(or not) as a result of the thicker oil. He can always revert back to the 5-30.
I agree. Use heavier oil as a one-time diagnostic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys, will try 10w30 next oil change see if it has any affects. That should be next week will let you know if anything get better.
Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts