Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Toyota rav4 2.4 L limited and it will not crank. It does not even try to turn over. It does nothing when I try to crank it. It started doing this yesterday but eventually it would crank but after I got home last tried to start it and have tried all through the night. I just got up and tried it again and it still will not crank and I can't get my passenger window to roll up either. My battery is fine could someone please help me because I don't have a clue what it could be

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2006 Toyota rav4 2.4 L limited and it will not crank. It does not even try to turn over. It does nothing when I try to crank it. It started doing this yesterday but eventually it would crank but after I got home last tried to start it and have tried all through the night. I just got up and tried it again and it still will not crank and I can't get my passenger window to roll up either. My battery is fine could someone please help me because I don't have a clue what it could be

Do you hear a clicking sound? If you don't or only hear a faint click check your starter relay and pray that's it. If not you might have either a bad starter or wiring issues. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
No clicking sound at all

After reading your post again do you see any dash lights? Try checking the battery terminals and making sure they have a clean and tight connection. To clean the posts and the terminals just use sand paper or a wire brush, watch out for dust so wear goggles and a dust mask. Seeing how you were able to get it to start before it could be dirt or a loose connection freeing up after messing with the battery but settling down after letting it sit.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

How do you know the battery is fine? Did anyone at least check it with a VM?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All my dashlights are working and I have unhooked the cables and cleaned them and put them back on. I'm just have no idea what it could be that's why I'm asking on here

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
The battery cable connections should also be cleaned at the starter relay and at the ground attachment to the chassis or engine, whichever it is connected to. If that does not resolve the problem I would suspect the battery; How do you know that your battery is fine? Having dash lights doesn't indicate a battery's ability to start an engine. Having it load tested will give a good idea of its condition. Many car parts stores will do that for no cost.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Try moving the shift lever from Park to Neutral and see if it will crank. Sometimes just jiggling the shift lever while in Park can work.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I use a variation of JuneBug's suggestion. I hold the key over to Start with my left hand while holding my foot on the brake and moving the shift lever with my right hand. If you find a place where it cranks the Park/Neutral switch needs adjustment or replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes my battery is good. My dad took it out and crink his truck with it so my battery is good. I tried the jiggling of the gear shift and trying the neutral position to start it and still nothing. Could my unlock system or alarm system have anything to do with it not crinking??

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Yes my battery is good. My dad took it out and crink his truck with it so my battery is good. I tried the jiggling of the gear shift and trying the neutral position to start it and still nothing. Could my unlock system or alarm system have anything to do with it not crinking??

If you have an alarm maybe the alarm hood pin is not grounding thus disabling your car. If you see the hood pin (located under the hood near the edge some where) check if it is broken inside (loose wire?) or try grounding it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh boy, I was camping in the middle of nowhere and next morning wouldn't start. It was the factory alarm. I rolled the window down, got out, closed door, turned on alarm, turned off alarm, got in and started. Hope yours is ok!

I can't remember how exactly this happened. I think I accidentally armed the vehicle from outside, disarmed it, but didn't open the door until I finished breakfast an hour later. I think it got confused and left the starter kill on when I got back in to leave.

Dr J

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone but it ended up being the starter. I'm used to getting a warning sound with the starter but not this one

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Thanks everyone but it ended up being the starter. I'm used to getting a warning sound with the starter but not this one

Thanks for the update and it's good that the problem was fixed. Starter problems with gen. 3 RAVs seem to be unusual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I happened to get into this situation. Mine was a thinned key. When it started i would think it to be the battery. What saved me was that I had a spare key just by trial i started well. And that was the conclusion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts