Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post. We recently bought a 2010 Limited. Went to dinner last night, came back out and no start (push button). Not even an attempt at starting.. just silence. Thought it was the smart key, but checked battery and it's good, and this morning I tried both keys..RAV is dead. Tried to jump it, and that got the dash lights on, but no cranking. I see searching around there can be a disheartening number of possibilities. Neutral safety switch? I tried starting in N and D... jiggled the shifter, etc.. nada. Neither fob would operate the doors at any point. Two things, as we pulled up, I turned off the car while still in dive (not moving), then caught myself and put in park. Doesn't seem like that should matter. Second, while walking into the 'raunt I noticed fob wouldn't lock the doors.

Will a RAV with a low battery at least try and turn over?

I am on my third 'yota truck, but this smart key over teched out RAV is pissing me off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
once i had the same problem, found out the problem was the ground wire from battery to the gearbox was corroded. cleaned the wires head and bolt (was corroded ``White``) but some oil on it to prevent future problems and tightened it up.

The car started right away. the ground wire to the gearbox is under the battery holder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.I held high hopes that would help, but ground looked good.. and after cleaning, no change. Bought a new battery to try.. doubt it will help, but we will see..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put in a new battery today. All dash lights immediately came on. Pressed button, nothing. Pressed again. all the dash lights went off. Pressed again, they all came on with a beeping. Did this a bunch more while jiggling the shifter in D and N while pushing brake and turning wheels. Nothing. Locked the doors, unlocked the doors, pressed again and the engine sputtered. Tried again and it started. Drove home with no warning lights as normal.

So doesn't make sense, and I'm not sure we are rid of an issue. Don't know why it wouldn't start when I tried to jump it.. I left it hooked up for quite a while, and nothing. Also not sure why the battery would have died over a 45 minute meal.

Thanks for assistance.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts