Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been thinking about installing a backup camera for a long time.Last night my wife got little too close to the concrete wall and almost destroyed our bumper so I think that time has come.I know there are some different licence plate cameras from ebay so I ordered regular camera with two places for screws from a local guy tonight.I have a regular HU without navi and things like that so i guess I got no installation already,i got to do that on my own? Also,I'm quite afraid of drilling my car so is there a place to put it without drilling with already existed grommets? I think I'll have a problem with getting power from reverse lights too,striping wires and things like that,any tip? Sorry for writing this much,thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You're in for some work...I have an sap as well...I drilled a hole behind my license plate to pass the wire thru...I then painted the bare metal to keep it from rusting...I have my camera powered so I can use it at any time while the rav is turned on (the kids like watching it as I drive LOL)...I also upgraded my stereo to a DVD unit however you can get a stand alone video monitor instead...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank you for you reply @rav4system.I think the worst problem for me would be getting power for the camera and stripping wires.Am i supposed to strip the wires from the tail light?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Power to the camera is easy...just tap into the reverse light wiring...that way the camera has power anytime you're in reverse...you can strip the wires or use any number or wire taps...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Guys this is the kit i've received today.I'm really confused.I see why there's black and white wires from monitor and camera,i know i need to conect camera and monitor with yellow plugs,but i don't get why there's that white plug next to the yellow one and why i need that red wire with yellow plugs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for double post but i figured it out guys,red wires along with yellow plugs can be used for powering your camera all the time or for trigerring the monitor and the unused white plug also doesn't bother me anymore as it has no effect for my install,at least that's what my salesman told me.Next problem,I need to get 12v power and ground for my monitor from fuse box.Any help guys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts