Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time reader of this forum, and this post is quite overdue.

Below is the build thread of my 2001 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4wd. Please feel free to ask any questions and suggestions are always welcome. This build is just beginning, lots more to come.

Follow me on Instagram @rav4explore

Also, special thanks to @Commando for his patience in answering a multitude of questions throughout this build.

Suspension:
Front:
-Old Man Emu Medium Duty Front Lift Springs
-Tema 4x4 strut top spacers 30mm
-Sachs struts
-Camber adjustment bolts (four total, two per strut)
Rear:
-Old Man Emu Medium Duty Rear Lift Springs
-Old Man Emu Rear Shock Absorbers
-Tema 4x4 spacers 30mm

Wheels:
-Sparco Terra (Gray) 16” x 7”

Tires:
-Toyo Open Country AT2’s
-235/70-16
Grille:
-DIY mesh grille

Interior:
-4.2.5 Rav4 Updated Center Radio Trim
-All weather floor mats
-Off-road patches on the headliner :D

Lighting:
-Auxbeam LED headlights
-Calais JDM yellow fog lights
-JDM yellow fog light vinyl wrap
-6000k Interior Dome Lights
-Rigid D2 Dually Spot
-Rigid amber covers

Communications:
CB radio:
-Uniden PRO 520XL
-4ft black Firestik
-Pyle PA speaker

Onboard Air:
Inflation:
-ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor
-ARB Inflation Kit w/ coil hose

Deflation:
-Boulder Tools Tire Deflation Kit

Emergency Supplies:
-KIDDE Fire Extinguisher

Recovery Equipment:
-Maxtrax traction boards
-30 foot tow strap

Audio:
Head Unit:
-Pioneer FHX700BT

Front Speakers:
-JBL Club 6500C component speakers

Rear Speakers:
-Stock Toyota Speakers

Sound Deadening:
-Noico 80mil butyl rubber mat

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also, special thanks to @Commando for his patience in answering a multitude of questions throughout this build.
I'm always happy to help people when I can.... and I'm much more happy when I can see the results. So I'm waiting for the pics now! :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm always happy to help people when I can.... and I'm much more happy when I can see the results. So I'm waiting for the pics now! :p
I have lots of pictures to post but it is telling me that I don’t have enough posts for the permission. :surprise

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I am also waiting for some pics!
I think about new shocks and the tema4x4 kit with 30mm.
I also follow u on insta.
Insta: rav4.offroadcamper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice, I can't seem to find a write-up on the Rav4.2.5 radio trim change. Do you have a link for more details?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice, I can't seem to find a write-up on the Rav4.2.5 radio trim change. Do you have a link for more details?
I swapped out my factory radio, 4-speakers, 2-tweeters and used a trim kit. Looks good. Also added a small 8” powered sub and placed it behind the rear passenger seat on the floor.
Forgive the wire mess in the back, have not finished trimming the slack after running the wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi @rav4explore - looks like a great build!

What did you end up doing for recovery points? Did you just stick with factory & have you used a snatch on them and all ok?

I'm trying to sort mine out before I take it on the beach and am not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its about time to update this thread. There have been a lot of adventures since the last update and a few new modifications in the works.

I custom fabricated some high clearance skid plates and I am also in progress of building a high clearance front bumper.
9743BF01-B6EC-4CF6-9552-40DB4C9DA415.jpeg
4AB2DB7B-2D2C-4C36-8156-C7A2768FA006.jpeg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some photos of the skid plates. They mount in two separate parts to avoid the exhaust and subframe. This allows them to be tucked tightly against the underside so that the vehicle looses minimal ground clearance.
18A43BAA-A00B-4F60-B198-8002AD75EA53.jpeg
F5E84C38-635D-45C2-B337-16DE477B5C3B.jpeg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @rav4explore - looks like a great build!

What did you end up doing for recovery points? Did you just stick with factory & have you used a snatch on them and all ok?

I'm trying to sort mine out before I take it on the beach and am not sure what I should do.
Sorry for the super late reply. I have a class III trailer hitch mounted in the rear that I use for any recovery needed. When possible I use Maxtrax traction boards before I get out the tow strap. The traction boards do not cause any stress on the vehicle’s frame that a winch or tow strap would. I have not every been “snatched” I always have the recovery vehicle slowly and gently tug. These Rav4’s are so light that it does not take much effort to get them unstuck generally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi! I am also waiting for some pics!
I think about new shocks and the tema4x4 kit with 30mm.
I also follow u on insta.
Insta: rav4.offroadcamper
Thanks! I love following your build on instagram. Definitely a favorite of the Rav4 builds.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's a good idea you had to make the skid-plate in two pieces. I was thinking to cut a hole on mine where the exhaust is... exactly for the same reason. I think I can gain about 1 inch more clearance doing this.

As for your front metal bumper, did you reinforced the ''end caps'' of the ''frame'' ? Because from factory it is VERY weak where it bolts... I would not add a tow point or winch to that bumper without adding some plates and welding like I did. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Below are a few pictures from a recent adventure to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

No new progress on the bumper yet but I plan to complete the bumper in the next few months as well as a sleeping platform/storage drawer system for the trunk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you have a closer photo to see how you installed your CB antenna?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you! ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
My CB set-up is a Uniden 510xl with a Wilson little wil antenna... but I was thinking about installing a firestik antenna somewhere near the spare tire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My CB set-up is a Uniden 510xl with a Wilson little wil antenna... but I was thinking about installing a firestik antenna somewhere near the spare tire.
Thats awesome! I really have enjoyed the Firestik setup. Most of my friends run an antenna in the roughly same location on their vehicles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts