Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Toyota Maintenance log calls for Re-torquing of the Drive Shaft Bolt.

Would these be the 4 that connects to the front tranny and the rear 8 bolts connecting to the Differential ?

Thnxs, Walt

J

·
0 Posts
waltrav said:
The Toyota Maintenance log calls for Re-torquing of the Drive Shaft Bolt.

Would these be the 4 that connects to the front tranny and the rear 8 bolts connecting to the Differential ?

Thnxs, Walt
Isn't that just for the 4WD?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've wondered about that too, and therefore I have never done it.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't that just for the 4WD?
If it is drive shaft, then there are 4 on 4WD and 2 on 2WD (front).

and what i can see from the diagrams is:

2WD have 4 bolts in total connecting it to the Tranny.
4WD would have 8 bolts connecting it to the Diff.

4WD also have 4 bolts connecting to the Rear Propeller Shaft to the diff. and 2 holding the support bearing.

The funny thing is they say "Drive Shaft Bolt" Singular. :roll:

Oh well maybe I'll have to drive by the Toyota Garage and ask the quick question to the mechanics and see what they say.

I do really want to re-torque it because i did find one of my suspension mount bolts off. I think that the rust proofing oil spray could cause premature loosening.

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff, this is off the topic,
but is there a safe way to put the fuel injectors off line, and not cause any computer malfunction /problems, so i can safely crank the engine for when i do a Tranny oil, or power steering flush.

Thnks,

Walt :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke to the Toyota Mechanic.

Apparently the Canadian Toyota Maintenance book does not have the Torquing of the DS bolt (4WD models) shown. So my guess is that someone might have done a translation mix-up from Japanese to English. :lol: :lol:

The guy was nice enough to give me a save Fuel disconnect procedure too.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think you can just pull the fuse for the ECU and/or fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually could not find the paper in which I wrote it down :roll:

What Jeff said sounds right but I want to ask my mechanic just to make sure. 20 years ago I would not have hesitated disconnecting it any which way, but now with all the sensitive electronics I just like to be extra cautious.

Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just asked a Toyota Mechanic on how to disconnect the fuel without causing any problems and he said they normally disconnect the pump.
That was one opinion so that's not to say that disconnecting the ECU is wrong.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
waltrav said:
so that's not to say that disconnecting the ECU is wrong.
If you pull the fuse on the ECU, you will still have pressure on the fuel line..... you need to be able to crank the engine and fire the injectors to de-presurize..... just disconnect the fuel pump (REMOVE the fuse) and crank a few times......

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've spoken to my service department about the bolt, and they have never found a loose one. I had them check it at 50,000 anyway.................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts