Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in Central Texas but willing to buy out-of-state. Here is what I am looking for:

• 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
  • Exterior color: Blizzard Pearl ($425)
  • Interior Color: Black or Gray
  • Limited Grade Weather Package ($1,015)
  • Limited Grade Advanced Technology Package ($1,025)
  • Adaptive Front Headlight System ($415)
I am told that this car isn't available in a our "5 state region" and will need to be ordered. All dealers are quoting MSRP + TTL but I'm holding out for a $2K+ discount (especially with all the port/dealer accessories they are adding on!). Let me know if you guys can recommend outstanding salespeople anywhere in the US...roadtrip!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am located in Central Texas but willing to buy out-of-state. Here is what I am looking for:

I am told that this car isn't available in a our "5 state region" and will need to be ordered. All dealers are quoting MSRP + TTL but I'm holding out for a $2K+ discount (especially with all the port/dealer accessories they are adding on!). Let me know if you guys can recommend outstanding salespeople anywhere in the US...roadtrip!
Most of the 2020 are pre-orders, I highly doubt you'll be able to get one with a 2k discount. I'm in nyc and I had to pay msrp for mine, but its a pre-order but it's fully loaded with all the options I want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wanted the adaptive headlights, but there weren't any in my color choice with them in New England. I ended up getting a 2020 Limited with all of that other stuff in Magnetic Gray. Best advice is to email a bunch of dealers and try to get them to compete with each other. A lot of the dealers in my region were only quoting $2k off 2019's. A couple went as much as $3k off a 2019. Biggest I saw on a 2020 was about $1500 (including the $500 Toyota rebate), but I was able to do better than that because of a mistake at the dealer I went to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wanted the adaptive headlights, but there weren't any in my color choice with them in New England. I ended up getting a 2020 Limited with all of that other stuff in Magnetic Gray. Best advice is to email a bunch of dealers and try to get them to compete with each other. A lot of the dealers in my region were only quoting $2k off 2019's. A couple went as much as $3k off a 2019. Biggest I saw on a 2020 was about $1500 (including the $500 Toyota rebate), but I was able to do better than that because of a mistake at the dealer I went to.
you can get the adaptive headlights but it would have to be a pre-order and if you go that route you will probably be paying sticker price. If the car isn’t on the floor they most likely won’t give you a discount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
And that's one reason I passed on them for this car. The headlights are leaps and bounds better than my 13 year old, weather sandblasted headlights in the car it replaced!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Go through the Costco Auto Program. Thats what I did. With no trade in, I got my fully loaded 2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited fully loaded for 1k under MSRP, TTL included. If you're willing to buy from Arizona, PM me and I can get you my sales guy's name and info. Had a great experience with them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The distributor thing again. I had the same problem and got one built by going through the internet sales person at a big big dealer not in the SET or SWT distributor region.That was in June and I was driving a month later at a significant discount. And the same car as yours.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Good luck.... it's in such high demand they would add you to a waiting list - and you want a $2K+ discount? Yeah I hate to break it to you, but your bargaining power is absolutely zero with a vehicle this hot and in demand. Some stores were selling over MSRP and people are paying it. My salesperson was brutally honest with me and basically said "Listen, we'll take great care of you after the fact, but we are not coming down a penny off MSRP because it's an x-month long wait. And that guy that just walked in behind you? He'll pay full price and take your spot on the waiting list." And it was true. Your only bargaining power would be if you find that unicorn dealership who has lots in stock and wants to move some inventory. Then the other issue is the wait lists. Lots of 2019 orders were cancelled and ported to the 2020 model so you are already in a long queue before you even buy one. You'll be fighting the 2019 people who have been waiting months, plus the new people ordering the 2020's. So your best chance is to find one in stock and make an offer b/c if you are custom ordering it, they know they have you over a barrel as that means you could not find it elsewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts

I'd get on Cars.com and search nationally for a vehicle meeting your requirements. You can drill down for hybrid, limited trim, exterior and interior color. Your wants are specific enough that you might have a hard time finding a vehicle that meets 100% without ordering, but you never know. Someone might have it.

Currently they show 200 Rav4 hybrid limited, blizzard, 2020 MY, nationally. Probably more out there, every single car isn't on there, but most of them are.

https://tinyurl.com/voadqsz

To some extent, finding a car that is in high demand and with very specific option requirements falls under the old adage of "you can have cheap, good, and fast, pick any two". You want the equivalent of good and fast, i.e. you want a certain model and specific options and colors. That will likely mean you'll have to sacrifice cheap, unless you get really lucky and just happen to find your exact vehicle sitting on a lot growing moss. Most dealers probably have limited incoming RAV hybrids, and can sell those they have coming in for a nice profit. Finding someone willing to use an order slot or give up a desirable incoming car from their order bank for a very skinny deal might not be easy.

On a somewhat related note, my longwinded post of the week relating to buying "hot"/rare/in high demand cars:

I used to sell cars and manage a car sales department at a new car (non Toyota) dealership. Occasionally, we'd have a model that would be unusually desirable and in somewhat short supply. These vehicles were often allocated from the factory on a very stingy basis, so if we sold one, we couldn't easily replace it, or quickly replace it. Our store wouldn't gouge people over list price on these units like a lot of dealers in our area would. However, we could sell them at or near MSRP easily, and we could sell twice as many of them as we could get. Therefore, it made little sense to give one away at invoice minus holdback when we could make money selling it near sticker. I mean, we were, after all, running a business...

...now, sometimes we would cut a person a deal on a car like this, despite being able to make a lot more money selling it to someone else, and despite being unable to replace it on the lot immediately. The folks who got deals like this on hot units were the customers we had a relationship with. I had clients that had purchased several cars from us in the past, who were pleasant to deal with (might have been good negotiators but didn't grind us totally into the dust), and who, plainly, I liked, because they didn't treat us like crap and they were reasonable people to interact with. There was an incentive to hook up a good client like this, since I knew they'd be back when they needed another car someday, they'd send a friend in perhaps, etc. Also, they'd be servicing their car with us, so we'd make a little money there, probably.

The people who did not get the hot cars at $100 over our net net cost were out of towners who we'd likely never see again. It made no sense from a business standpoint to give away a really desirable unit for an ultra skinny deal. Those folks who'd fly in from 800 miles away almost never came back, the chance of them sending a referral in was close to nil. They wouldn't even be getting oil changes or tire rotations at our store. People who sent form emails demanding the best price from 27 dealerships usually didn't get at a skinny deal for us, either. I'd give a lot more consideration to giving a car away to someone who took the time to come in than some random emailer. Sure, there were times to blow a car out to one of the barrage email types, but it typically wasn't on that rare unit type of car. You want the ultimate skinny deal on a car I have 4 of on the lot and 6 more coming in the pipeline next month, and that everyone in town has a few of in stock? Sure thing, done.

We'd still discount a hot unit, perhaps, to a new local or relatively local customer who was pleasant to deal with. I mean, we were there to sell cars, and not run a car museum. So if a reasonable offer came in on a hot unit, and the person wasn't abrasive, sure, we'd consider it. Invoice? Probably not. Split invoice and sticker? We'd think about it. Some of it depended on other factors. Time of the month, how we were doing overall for the quarter, whether we had a hidden factory bonus for hitting a certain sales target for a certain period. Etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good luck.... it's in such high demand they would add you to a waiting list - and you want a $2K+ discount? Yeah I hate to break it to you, but your bargaining power is absolutely zero with a vehicle this hot and in demand. Some stores were selling over MSRP and people are paying it. My salesperson was brutally honest with me and basically said "Listen, we'll take great care of you after the fact, but we are not coming down a penny off MSRP because it's an x-month long wait. And that guy that just walked in behind you? He'll pay full price and take your spot on the waiting list." And it was true. Your only bargaining power would be if you find that unicorn dealership who has lots in stock and wants to move some inventory. Then the other issue is the wait lists. Lots of 2019 orders were cancelled and ported to the 2020 model so you are already in a long queue before you even buy one. You'll be fighting the 2019 people who have been waiting months, plus the new people ordering the 2020's. So your best chance is to find one in stock and make an offer b/c if you are custom ordering it, they know they have you over a barrel as that means you could not find it elsewhere.
Depends where they buy. I bought the same vehicle with the same packages in the first months after it was newly available and got way more than the discount he is asking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends where they buy. I bought the same vehicle with the same packages in the first months after it was newly available and got way more than the discount he is asking.
That's hard to believe you got "way more" than a $2,000 discount on a hot new vehicle that was backordered before it even hit lots (in my province anyway) when there's barely above $2,000 profit. Can you post your bill of sale (cut out any personal info of course) as I'd like to print it out and show my salesperson that there was in fact a dealer who gave an insane deal :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got over $2k off my El Base-O LE in June. Market was pretty hot on hybrids back then. I think my dealer had one in stock, and had to travel quite a distance to get mine.

I think geography / local market has a lot to do with what kind of a deal can be had. Los Angeles or Boston is probably a lot different than Kansas City or Cleveland regarding a RAV purchase.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's nuts, that's why I'm wanting to see an invoice from him or you so I could show my dealer that those kind of deals actually existed. In my province they were pre-sold before they were even delivered hence all the forum posts about several month long waiting lists here, Reddit/Rav4World, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is definitely a local market aspect to it. At the dealer I bought mine at, they had about 12-15 Hybrid Limiteds on the lot. They turned them quickly, but still had inventory on hand. They were also still selling down 2019 inventory, so about 4-5 of the 12-15 above were 19s. I was able to get a little over $3k off MSRP on a 2020, but that was because the dealer had already run my credit card for a down payment on a 2019 that ended up getting sold while I was in it for a test drive (or some crazy reason, don't really care), so they worked really hard to "make it right" by finding a car that I would leave there with since they didn't have one left in my first choice color with my required packages (Cold Weather and Tech).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought my 2020 Rav4 Limited with Weather package and mats for $37300 (not including tax and title, etc) which is $1048 over dealer invoice...add in the holdback and they made $1781, plus whatever incentives they get behind the scenes. I saved $2312 off the sticker price of $39612. I think that's decent for a high demand car.

My local dealer is the largest in my area for sales to individuals, usually #1 or #2 ranked. Other dealers specialize in fleet sales, but a local dealer that caters to individual sales is often more willing to cut a deal. My Rav was on the lot and that also makes for a better deal than ordering. Every day it sits, it costs them money. I also chose a dealership that doesn't charge any Dealer Fees, which is pure profit. No charges for doing paperwork, registering the car with the local agencies, getting the licence plate, etc. And no automatic add ons you don't need, like Toyo Care Premium, which is $699. Another factor is time of month or year. From now til 12/31 is a great time to buy!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is definitely a local market aspect to it. At the dealer I bought mine at, they had about 12-15 Hybrid Limiteds on the lot. They turned them quickly, but still had inventory on hand. They were also still selling down 2019 inventory, so about 4-5 of the 12-15 above were 19s. I was able to get a little over $3k off MSRP on a 2020, but that was because the dealer had already run my credit card for a down payment on a 2019 that ended up getting sold while I was in it for a test drive (or some crazy reason, don't really care), so they worked really hard to "make it right" by finding a car that I would leave there with since they didn't have one left in my first choice color with my required packages (Cold Weather and Tech).
obviously in your case it made sense that you got a huge deal because they don’t want the possibility of a lawsuit. Normally it would be hard to get over a 1k discount since the 2020 models are just reaching dealerships and if your dealer has to get an allocation for the model and trim you want or they have to special order if for you then you won’t be getting a discount besides factory incentives.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought my 2020 Rav4 Limited with Weather package and mats for $37300 (not including tax and title, etc) which is $1048 over dealer invoice...add in the holdback and they made $1781, plus whatever incentives they get behind the scenes. I saved $2312 off the sticker price of $39612. I think that's decent for a high demand car.

My local dealer is the largest in my area for sales to individuals, usually #1 or #2 ranked. Other dealers specialize in fleet sales, but a local dealer that caters to individual sales is often more willing to cut a deal. My Rav was on the lot and that also makes for a better deal than ordering. Every day it sits, it costs them money. Another factor is time of month or year. From now til 12/31 is a great time to buy!
The key is that the car has to be on the lot, if it isn’t and they have to order one then you’ll probably be paying msrp

·
Registered
29 Posts
The key is that the car has to be on the lot, if it isn’t and they have to order one then you’ll probably be paying msrp
Exactly. If you are flexible, and do not need a new Rav4 immediately, then keep checking the incoming inventory daily at your local dealers and at the main Toyota site for your zipcode. That lets you know what's coming down the pike... and what shows up at your local dealers lot. Then if you like it, go immediately!

Know your invoice price and holdback, and tell them your price. I used this site to compute the true dealer cost:
https://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealercostcalculator.html Edmunds lists the invoice and MSRP prices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
obviously in your case it made sense that you got a huge deal because they don’t want the possibility of a lawsuit. Normally it would be hard to get over a 1k discount since the 2020 models are just reaching dealerships and if your dealer has to get an allocation for the model and trim you want or they have to special order if for you then you won’t be getting a discount besides factory incentives.
Agreed. I lucked out on the circumstances for price. There are a lot of Toyota dealers around Boston, and I'm sure that these guys are always thinking about value of reputation. Getting a deal done where they don't make a lot (I'm sure they still made a profit on the car, just maybe not as much as they may otherwise have) is better than having someone telling all of their friends a horror story about dealing with them. They worked with me, and were clearly scrambling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts