Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody ,

I´m new arround here and I´m thinking change my Mitsu ASX 1.8 150hp for a RAV hybrid.

Its possible know the real consumption of yours RAV Hybrid? city and highway.

My big fear its the big motor with 2500cm^3

regards

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It does pretty much what the EPA says it does. If you complete your profile or let us know more about where and how you would use it we can provide more specific info.
Mine does about 38 MPG US in city driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello everybody ,

I´m new arround here and I´m thinking change my Mitsu ASX 1.8 150hp for a RAV hybrid.

Its possible know the real consumption of yours RAV Hybrid? city and highway.

My big fear its the big motor with 2500cm^3

regards
My average is 35,4 mpg (6,65 l/100 km) for the first 14000 km according to all tanked liters.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

...the real consumption of yours RAV Hybrid? city and highway.

My big fear its the big motor with 2500cm^3...
It's interesting you see the 2.5L engine as big motor. Many people here feel it is a medium to small motor. It would be good to know what you face in Portugal, compare speeds, condition of highways, city driving with stop and go, etc.

I don't have one yet, but as near as I can tell from a lot of posts is the RAV hybrid really is excellent in warm weather and city (stop and go) driving. Portugal might be awesome on all fronts. So many variables, it's always a broad brush. So much depends on HOW you drive, etc.

I've tracked a lot of fuel sites and two that have never strayed far from the real normal are the US EPA estimate and Fuelly. Some here dismiss the EPA, but, they are spot on in my book.

Check the sites, you get a lot more data than this board can give you:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2017&year2=2017&make=Toyota&baseModel=RAV4&srchtyp=ymm

The US EPA is in mpg, but you can convert to km. The Fuelly website has km and you can click on individual users and see if they compare city vs highway driving:

Toyota RAV4 MPG - Actual MPG from 261 Toyota RAV4 owners

Please tell us about the conditions you face in Portugal driving! And always interesting to know costs overseas, especially cost of vehicle and cost of fuel. Welcome to the forum, it can use more international comparo.

Reactions: cardoso

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG is a good reference IMO. It says 32,5 MPG and that's pretty much what I'm doing right now (see my fuelly signature).

RAV4 Hybrid : Toyota RAV4 MPG - Actual MPG from 262 Toyota RAV4 owners

In my case it could be better but I always have a Thule rack on the top with Thule boxe and/or bikes. Also, each weekend, I go up north and the road has several slopes. The destination has at least 1000 feet height difference.

It will be worse this winter in my case because it gets VERYcold here and a lot of snow.

If you do more city driving than I do, you will also get a better MPG. With my TDI I was driving 75 mph and was getting a very good MPG but with the RAV4H, I try not to go above 68 mph.

Reactions: cardoso

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for your answer , also in highway you can do average of 6,65l/100 with a 2500cm^3 ?

In this area of Estonia there is not highways, but sometimes visiting in Finland I have driven some hundred kilometers on highways. The avg fuel consumption meter has shown some 7,2-7,3 l/100 km. In Finland speed limits are 80, 100 and 120 km/h on the main roads. In Estonia 70, 90 and 110 km/h. Normally I drive speed limit + 7 km/h. My daily commute is 40 km on the road sp 90 km/h + 15 km in town.
I suppose that the averige number will increase on winter. Until now I have an experiance only on the perod April to September.

In my opinion 2.5 motor gives both options 1. to drive economically and 2. to drive more aggressively. The first one fits better to me.0:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all for the information ,

usually the european cars have a smaller motor like 1600cm3 or less I have a Mitsu with 1800cm3 petrol with average around 7 L/100

I saw somewere in internet the RAV does 10L/100 as average of consumption in highway, thats the reason of my afraid.

Ussualy my wyfe does 10Km per day ( city ) and sometimes we go out 600km in highway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm such an outlier at 45 US mpg each tank
Do you often drive above 60 mph?

Like I said in another post, European anti-pollution rules are smoother than EPA/USA/Canada rules and I suspect that your anti-pollution system is less restritive. This might have something to do with your great MPG. I don't know how we could prove that though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Do you often drive above 60 mph?

Like I said in another post, European anti-pollution rules are smoother than EPA/USA/Canada rules and I suspect that your anti-pollution system is less restritive. This might have something to do with your great MPG. I don't know how we could prove that though.
He/she is an extreme hyper-miler at times. I think he/she recommended covering our grills, especially during winter, when the increase in MPG is most pronounced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all for the information ,

usually the european cars have a smaller motor like 1600cm3 or less I have a Mitsu with 1800cm3 petrol with average around 7 L/100

I saw somewere in internet the RAV does 10L/100 as average of consumption in highway, thats the reason of my afraid.

Ussualy my wyfe does 10Km per day ( city ) and sometimes we go out 600km in highway.

I have done a mistake, I wrote petrol but I mean DIESEL. :wink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday I was towing my single place snowmobile trailer, with metal snowshield, homemade wooden kayak rack and two 14 foot kayaks (with gear in a poly box) (probably about 500/600 lbs for the whole thing) 50 miles. The highways were clogged during evening rush hours so I took surface roads through cities and towns, hit traffic lights and some clogs. To my surprise I averaged over 38 mpg, and that wasn't even in Eco. The RAV just loves back roads!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yesterday I was towing my single place snowmobile trailer, with metal snowshield, homemade wooden kayak rack and two 14 foot kayaks (with gear in a poly box) (probably about 500/600 lbs for the whole thing) 50 miles. The highways were clogged during evening rush hours so I took surface roads through cities and towns, hit traffic lights and some clogs. To my surprise I averaged over 38 mpg, and that wasn't even in Eco. The RAV just loves back roads!
Exactly, highway kills MPG a lot. It's true for all cars but specially for the RAV4 Hybrid where it's almost impossible to be in EV mode at high speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts