Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topped off tank, 600 pounds of people and cargo, 24 degrees F. First half of trip was icy bad roads, so avg speed was just a tick higher than 60 mph - "fake" pulse and glide due to frequent "off the gas" for icy road surfaces...POOTER mpg HOVERED IN THE 32.+ mpg range. Return trip with 300 people pounds and 20 degrees F, I purposely pushed 70 mph for 60 miles (ROAD CONDITIONS MUCH IMPROVED, and I wanted to get a feel for where my hybrid efficiencies began to evaporate) ...POOTER mpg HOVERED IN AT MID 23 mpg's. When conditions worsened and I brought her back down to safe throttle adjustments (forced "fake" pulsing again) but seeking 60 mph, I saw a pooter-indicated 29 mpg's. FINAL PEN & PAPER calculations (topped off at home again just to get my numbers - 132 miles range remained) indicate that this PURE HIGHWAY trip was accomplished at 28.2 mpg's. Entire trip was done in ECO mode, and topography was INDIANA FLAT. The XM Radio and SWEET JBL package soothed my otherwise ice-induced white-knuckled nerves... Booyah!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just be aware that it takes 5000 miles for the entire system to loosen up and deliver its best MPG. If you want to help improve things, pump the tires up to about 40psi. (no, it doesn't hurt tire wear or handling)

·
Registered
182 Posts
One tank is never enough to get a good read. The tank has to be filled to exactly the same fill level before and after. There is no way of guaranteeing that. The best way to do it is to measure multiple fill ups, back to back while tracking all miles. And make sure the first and last fill ups don't hiccup.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just be aware that it takes 5000 miles for the entire system to loosen up and deliver its best MPG. If you want to help improve things, pump the tires up to about 40psi. (no, it doesn't hurt tire wear or handling)
I would rather not risk safety and burn a few more cents of gas. If you want a harsher ride, increased braking distances and a little less overall traction (Have fun in the rain) go for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One tank is never enough to get a good read. The tank has to be filled to exactly the same fill level before and after. There is no way of guaranteeing that. The best way to do it is to measure multiple fill ups, back to back while tracking all miles. And make sure the first and last fill ups don't hiccup.
My post was proffered to serve those inquiries from potential RAV4 Hybrid buyers seeking a glimpse of their potential highway mpg reality with only 2 or 3 variables addressed. My snapshot of real world numbers is just that. I was expressly NOT trying to maximize (improve?) mpg's (putting my family at risk with altered psi's). The pre- and post-fillups were at the same pump and vehicle attitude. Those who want to engage in mental minurbation (sp? intended) might prefer to remain active on the other thread where theoreticals, machinated engineerisms and a few gee-I'm-so-smart pronouncements are all the rage.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Those who want to engage in mental minurbation (sp? intended) might prefer to remain active on the other thread where theoreticals, machinated engineerisms and a few gee-I'm-so-smart pronouncements are all the rage.
This is the internet. If someone isn't criticizing your posts, then you're doing something wrong! :wink

·
Registered
182 Posts
My post was proffered to serve those inquiries from potential RAV4 Hybrid buyers seeking a glimpse of their potential highway mpg reality with only 2 or 3 variables addressed. My snapshot of real world numbers is just that. I was expressly NOT trying to maximize (improve?) mpg's (putting my family at risk with altered psi's). The pre- and post-fillups were at the same pump and vehicle attitude. Those who want to engage in mental minurbation (sp? intended) might prefer to remain active on the other thread where theoreticals, machinated engineerisms and a few gee-I'm-so-smart pronouncements are all the rage.

I was not encouraging any of the behavior you identified. I'm not sure why you think I was. I was merely pointing out that less than one tank cannot necessarily be measured accurately and the numbers can be skewed either way with such a small sample size. It's all about having the tank filled to exactly the same level before and after. We can't see that. Missing the mark on a sample size of 10 gallons (or less) can make a bigger impact than missing over 100 gallon sample size. No more no less.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not encouraging any of the behavior you identified. I'm not sure why you think I was. I was merely pointing out that less than one tank cannot necessarily be measured accurately and the numbers can be skewed either way with such a small sample size. It's all about having the tank filled to exactly the same level before and after. We can't see that. Missing the mark on a sample size of 10 gallons (or less) can make a bigger impact than missing over 100 gallon sample size. No more no less.
Hilarious. You come to a battle of wits, and yet you arrive unarmed. Key words which you may have overlooked: SNAPSHOT. GLIMPSE. With a couple of potential buyers asking about real world numbers, I wanted to share with them, as the pollsters say, "EARLY RETURNS". The curious can always see FUELLY results for gross stats - but what I offered them is insight into how a one-tank pure highway trip behaved with varied speed. You snub the intelligence of the honorable readers of this forum who do understand that size truly does matter (which you grasp). For purposes of this thread and my stated reasons for offering it, my sample is adequate. Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I liked the post and will share my first tank results as well. Its just going to take me around 2 weeks to finish my first tank and I like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts