Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been driving my XSE for about a month now and absolutely love it. I have installed a CURT trailer hitch, and a few other light mods like LED replacements, horn replacement, and Plasti-Diped the emblems. Before this vehicle my wife had a Prius and I came from a Mirai..both very fuel efficient vehicles. After putting on over 2K miles in Eco mode, I am struggling to keep MPGs at or above 38mpg. I have read a few articles and postings showing that most people are easily getting above the 40mpg combine that the window sticker stated. I have noticed that when the vehicle is cold, it very rarely uses battery power at all.

I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealer by my office, and they stated that because there are no warning lights on, there is not much they check on or determine. They released the vehicle back to me with no changes. Is anyone else running into this issue, or does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you use E10 or lower and have nothing on the roof, including cross rails, and you don't live in the mountains, then something is off. I routinely see 41-42 mpg lightly loaded without any effort, both highway and city.

While most are seeing these MPG's, occasionally folks post with inexplicably low numbers in the mid-30's that just don't add up. I actually think there may be an issue. Mine drops into electric mode a lot when I am under 40 mph.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My average is 42 now, in the summer with the AC on, its was lower.
Winter, not sure....
Is it electric heat, or conventional heater core??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine doesn't move into EV mode until it is warm but that doesn't take all that long. I think some of this is really driving dependent. I easily get 44 mpg on my town runs, and average out to well over 43 mpg with short highway trips. But, if I did a lot of highway it would fall. Also, when my daughter was home from college and drove it, the average took a huge dive! I press and release to glide where I can, coast up to the lights where I can, and try to be very steady. Are you in a lot of hills at highway speeds or having to accelerate away uphill from lights?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’m in the Poconos and have a very hilly commute and average around 43 mpg in Normal mode. I coast when I can and brake nice and easy when I can to ensure the battery gets charged so I can use EV as often as possibles. Other than that I drive pretty normal. If it’s that low, maybe something is up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine doesn't move into EV mode until it is warm but that doesn't take all that long. I think some of this is really driving dependent. I easily get 44 mpg on my town runs, and average out to well over 43 mpg with short highway trips. But, if I did a lot of highway it would fall. Also, when my daughter was home from college and drove it, the average took a huge dive! I press and release to glide where I can, coast up to the lights where I can, and try to be very steady. Are you in a lot of hills at highway speeds or having to accelerate away uphill from lights?
I live about 5 mins away from the Long Beach airport in CA and my daily commute is 24 miles RT a day on side streets with no incline. Not too sure what is going on... I thought it could have been the 50 lbs of the hitch at first, but then thought that it should not impact the MPGs that much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you use E10 or lower and have nothing on the roof, including cross rails, and you don't live in the mountains, then something is off. I routinely see 41-42 mpg lightly loaded without any effort, both highway and city.

While most are seeing these MPG's, occasionally folks post with inexplicably low numbers in the mid-30's that just don't add up. I actually think there may be an issue. Mine drops into electric mode a lot when I am under 40 mph.
I hate to admit i, but I am one of those users.. I was getting 35mpg for a while... even while my Toyota app was giving me a 100 score on my driving.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Would be interesting to get build month and country. I bet the low milers will find something in common. I just filled up a few minutes ago. 504.5 miles on 12.25 gallons, or 41.18 mpg. Light loads, warm weather, E10. 60/40 city highway split. XSE June Japan build without the gas tank issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get around 38mpg on the highway cruising at 75-80. I get 45mpg with speeds under 45mph. I use "Normal" drive mode and have a hitch installed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's impossible to know why a specific car is getting 38 MPG and another one is getting 40 MPG without knowing a lot more details about driving style and conditions.

Is 38 the tank average, or the trip average? Is 38 the number displayed by the car, or are you calculating it based on actual miles driven and gallons of fuel used (like with fuelly). Also if your XSE's odometer is 2% low like mine is, you're probably getting 2% better MPG than you think.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lots of hills to climb in San Diego. Only getting about 36-37mpg after 1 week of ownership doing 60% freeway driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate to admit i, but I am one of those users.. I was getting 35mpg for a while... even while my Toyota app was giving me a 100 score on my driving.
I'm in SoCal too and noticed my XSE averages 35MPG, I'm currently at 750 miles total. My daily commute is only 2 miles each way, but weekends we take it on longer 20-40 mile one way trips. I've noticed my avg MPG is 32-33 in the city during the week, but then jumps up to avg 35 total on the weekends. My Toyota app gives me a total driver score of 97 so I'm not driving like a maniac.This seems odd to me.

I've also noticed my tank won't fill more than 11.5 gallons when on empty. So it looks like I have the same tank/gauge issue so many others do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Pump shut off is variable. The readout the car's computer gives is optimistic. I suggest going to fuelly and seeing what others are averaging as it computes its averages over time and so the pump shut off variable has less of an effect. The low MPG cars there have frequently not correctly recorded all their fill ups. Those that have are generally in the 38 to 44 range. Mine is mid 42s.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some very generic thoughts.

1) the first 1000 miles or so are engine break in, and mileage can vary a lot during this period from one vehicle to another. Just throw those numbers out - and start calculating going forward.
2) Do you always buy gas at the same place? If so, try a different place.
3) Gas is blended both seasonally and by region. If your right on the split of 2 regions you might not be getting an ideal blend for the time of year.
4) Elevation affects mileage - you at altitude?
5) have you ensured your tires are all inflated at the recomended pressure? A few pounds can make a difference.

And as mentioned, are you calculating it across multiple tanks over time - or just taking what the car is telling you?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My tires are +2. 40mpg on hwy 75 mph. Town is better. But lots of coasting and driving slow when no one is behind me in neighborhoods.
I have xle with 17 inch rims.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lots of hills to climb in San Diego. Only getting about 36-37mpg after 1 week of ownership doing 60% freeway driving.
I live in San Diego as well and average about 37 a tank driving about 50% city 50% highway. The hills are a mileage killer!

·
Registered
105 Posts
A lot.of folks getting over epa estimates are driving in pseudo hyper miling mode (including me). In heavy traffic like San Diego I would be happy close to epa estimates.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts