·
Registered
243 Posts
1st fill up

Stats from our first fill-up:
miles: 340
gallons: 10.2
calculate mpg: 33.3
trip computer mpg: 35.5 (I don't know if the dealer reset this when they filled it up after retrieving it from another dealer about 70 miles away)

The first tank was almost all city driving with Eco mode on most of the time. The fuel gage was on about 1/4 and miles to empty read 93.

That mileage is at least double what our 2004 Highlander AWD V6 got around town in cool weather so I am tickled pink with the mileage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just finished a small road trip... I filled my tank before leaving and with ~97% highway driving, speeds varying between 55 MPH (construction zones) and 70 (but the majority at 65 MPH), I crossed the Appalachian Mountains in PA (back and forth.) On fill up, I measured 34 MPG after 319 miles. (I didn't fill up after the remaining 150 miles of the trip, so that won't be properly measured.)

Considering the 31 MPG EPA estimate of highway mileage, I'm happy with a 34 MPG actual mileage. I'm wondering what the non-hybrid RAV4 would get making the same trip in the same conditions. Probably very close to the same. At highway speeds, the wind resistance of the vehicle seems to be the biggest consideration.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're getting confused - the capacity is 14.8 gal, or 56 litres, or 12.3 Imperial gal. This is right out of my owner's manual pg. 597.

Everything I have seen says that the gas tank on the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid is 12.3 gallons. Am I missing something?

I am still in the negotiations phase at my dealer.

Thanks,

Shirley

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're getting confused - the capacity is 14.8 gal, or 56 litres, or 12.3 Imperial gal. This is right out of my owner's manual pg. 597.
Thanks, this came right off the dealer website:

Features & Specifications *
MECHANICAL
Engine: 2.5L 4-Cylinder Atkinson Cycle
Transmission: CVT (Continuously Variable)
Axle Ratio: TBD
GVWR: TBD
Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
Electronic Transfer Case
Automatic Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
Hybrid Electric Motor
Towing w/Trailer Sway Control
900# Maximum Payload
Gas-pressurized shock absorbers
Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
12.3 Gal. Fuel Tank

14.8 works better for me since my commute each way is over 25 miles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's not a matter of which works better - they are all the same! 14.8 US gal = 56 l = 12.3 Imp. Gal. Where are you located?

Thanks, this came right off the dealer website:

Features & Specifications *
MECHANICAL
Engine: 2.5L 4-Cylinder Atkinson Cycle
Transmission: CVT (Continuously Variable)
Axle Ratio: TBD
GVWR: TBD
Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
Electronic Transfer Case
Automatic Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
Hybrid Electric Motor
Towing w/Trailer Sway Control
900# Maximum Payload
Gas-pressurized shock absorbers
Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
12.3 Gal. Fuel Tank

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, what you are really concerned about is your vehicle's RANGE. Expect a potential of 350-400 real miles per tank in a RAV4 Hybrid. :laugh

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,121 Posts
Expect a potential of 350-400 real miles per tank in a RAV4 Hybrid.
Actually 450 miles is not unusual. And if you get close to 40mpg you can expect 500 miles per tank. Figure 13 gal times whatever your average MPG is.

I don't know if we'll ever see anyone reach a 600 mile tank but its not impossible if you stretch it out to 14 gal.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The average on Fuelly.com is 32.3mpg which would be 418 miles on 13 gallons, lots doing better than that, so far I've only filled up once for 33.93mpg, mostly city.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Mileage=

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually 450 miles is not unusual. And if you get close to 40mpg you can expect 500 miles per tank.
Hi, Shirley!
Unless you drive like Bishoparc, or drive the same commute route as rdgrimes (who will probably stop to help you when you are stranded by the roadside after you run out of gas), I would consider the statistics that you can digest on your own at Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Of the 10 most active participants on that website with RAV4 Hybrids, only three drivers have ever gone over 400 miles on a tank. The aforementioned Bishoparc has gone over 400 miles on 7 of his 17 tanks of gas. Richtex has gone over 400 on 3 of his 18 tanks, and JLWatts has gone over 400 miles on 3 of his 14 tanks. The other seven of the top ten drivers on Fuelly (myself included) have driven ZERO tanks over 400 miles - out of a total of 95 tanks of gas...

I’m just’ sayin’. :kiss

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have put over 400 miles on all four of my tanks so far, 437 being the most so far. 5th tank is at 324 miles with just over a quarter tank left.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Fuelly Log Book RAV4 (Toyota RAV4) | Fuelly shows three fuel-ups.
The 1st had 396 miles on it but was the tank the dealer filled. This was mixed modes while getting familiar with the RAV4. Filled up within 5 miles of the light coming on.
The 2nd was 431 miles 100% ECO mode. Filled up within 15-20 miles of the light coming on.
The 3rd was 345 but I filled up about 2 gallons early so would have been right around 400 miles if I let it go. This tank was 100% Normal mode.
My current tank is being run all on Sport mode for the fun/education of it.

When it warms up more consistently I would expect to be above 400 miles for most tanks and will probably be in ECO mode most of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, Shirley!
Unless you drive like Bishoparc, or drive the same commute route as rdgrimes (who will probably stop to help you when you are stranded by the roadside after you run out of gas), I would consider the statistics that you can digest on your own at Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Of the 10 most active participants on that website with RAV4 Hybrids, only three drivers have ever gone over 400 miles on a tank. The aforementioned Bishoparc has gone over 400 miles on 7 of his 17 tanks of gas. Richtex has gone over 400 on 3 of his 18 tanks, and JLWatts has gone over 400 miles on 3 of his 14 tanks. The other seven of the top ten drivers on Fuelly (myself included) have driven ZERO tanks over 400 miles - out of a total of 95 tanks of gas...

I’m just’ sayin’. :kiss
I question the above data or collection/interpretation of the data.

The 2nd RAV4 I looked at 5 of 6 are over 400 miles.
1st attachment. rdgrimes - Rav4 Hybrid Limited (Toyota RAV4) | Fuelly

You mentioned JLWatts but did not tell it all. It is hard to get 400 miles to a tank when you are doing a partial fill up of 5, 7, 9 gallons. Look at the MPG though.

2nd attachment. JLWatts - EcoRav (Toyota RAV4) | Fuelly - New Mexico

Some of the lower MPGs look to be in Canada so could be temp related.

I know, this is still not a complete analysis. I don't mean it to be. I do intend to point out that there are plenty of RAV4 Hybrids getting good enough MPG to exceed 400 miles per tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,121 Posts
I know, this is still not a complete analysis. I don't mean it to be. I do intend to point out that there are plenty of RAV4 Hybrids getting good enough MPG to exceed 400 miles per tank.
Correct its not a bit complicated, the only unknown at this point is the actual amount of usable fuel in that tank. 13 gal is a certainty. I don't think anyone has reported putting 14 into one yet. But even at 13.5 its very possible to see 500-mile tanks in city driving. (37mpg)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good to know some are beating the EPA numbers, especially with the weather warming up.

From my observations, I think if I drove like the average person who is not very conservative in their driving, I think the average fuel economy would be slightly below the EPA numbers, 30-31ish. However, incorporating some smarter conservative driving, it is easy to get the EPA numbers and with just a little more conservative driving, it is very easy to beat the EPA numbers. I have been hovering around 35mpg with a little extra work to improve fuel economy. I know I could really bump this figure up if I really tried and wasn't concerned about the person behind me.

Either way, I have been very pleased and impressed with this hybrid for what it is. I still managed to get almost 34 mpg on one tank to were I pulled a 1200 pound trailer for 90 miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ran the needle as low as I was confortable with: filled 14.09 gallons and went 508 miles: 36.06 mpg.
Where was the needle on the gas gauge? The lowest I've run down to is the bottom of the E. And that was 12.65 gallons. I wish it would accurately reflect the amount of gas, based on the actual 14.8 gallon tank.

81 - 100 of 304 Posts