Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2007 was screwed up because the mechanic shorted something when changing the transmission for an transfert case leak, after 3 transmission that liked locking up the wheels while driving, they ended up buying it back...

now last week I put on my winter tires and take a look under and find the rear differential seal leaking on the passenger side, I figured I'd go to the same dealership, how hard and changing a seal be... right!?

first I talk to one of the monkeys up front, he asks why I think the differential is leaking, might just be dirt... I explain that you can see the oil coming out of the passenger side seal, and it left a drip line that i can see on my driveway gear oil. He then goes on about problems like this need a mechanic to diagnose, you can't just say it's leaking without some mechanical background. I was really blunt and told him, seriously does any of the guys working the counter actually have any mechanical background? he just asks for the keys and tells me they will call me later.

I get the call, pick up the car 10 minutes before closing, get the keys from the receptionist. get in, start her up, and drive off, right there I know something is wrong, kind of a rubbing/grinding sound in the rear. I keep going as I live 2 minutes from the dealership.

the next morning I take it appart to find the rear spring is not even on the spring support/mount, but about 2 inches out toward the wheel and rubbing against the bolt in the middle of the top plate! What kind of idiots do these dealerships hire! he probably disasembled some bolts to take out the drive shaft and didn't bother to put the spring back into the correct position. Left just say that on Monday I will go have a talk with the service manager, again.

I really need to find a place where they hire real mechanic for my warranty work!

On the pics you can see the extra bumpstop that should be over the top plate bolt, for the suspension airbag I added

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
That is just sad. Make sure you take the pictures with you. God only knows how many other parts are still on his toolbox that should have gone back on. Obviously a test drive after the work was not done either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am a little surprised that as you only live 2 minutes away from the dealer
why didn't you let them hear that noise straight away rather than go home?
Unless of course it made you so angry that you didn't trust yourself not to
inflict physical injury on the reception man.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are told that it's all your fault, "it was perfect when
it left our workshop, we bet that you must have driven it off road and that is the
real cause.

I really hope that you sort this out to your 100% satisfaction so good luck
on Monday.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it home the way it was because I knew there was nobody left at that time at the dealership that could help... I thought at first it was just a brake dust shield that was bent, boy was I wrong! lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is just sad. Make sure you take the pictures with you. God only knows how many other parts are still on his toolbox that should have gone back on. Obviously a test drive after the work was not done either.
from the dash cam video, I can tell you he only backed out the car out of the garage and parked it, driving 100feet max, and also he didn't like my musical choice of CDs... guess he didn't realize he was being recorded lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is sad.....when you pay someone $100 an hr , you would think they would have the knowledge and work ethic to be the very best for your vehicle....wrong!
Your conversation with the service advisor is all too common. I think some "try" to help and others think they know it all. It would be nice if they did have some mechanical backround, it would sure help the process.
Just another day at the dealership.... :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
We live 1 hour 20 minutes from Ottawa and bought our 2007 from Kanata Toyota. Just wondering what your dealership is since I understand they are all owned by only a couple different people.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A couple of months ago the alternator went out on mine and with no time to change it myself I had my local dealer do it with me supplying the parts, turns out the water pump was starting to seep so I had them replace it since they were already into it. Next day I noticed the plastic "skid plate" was sagging, so I looked underneath to see how many push pins were missing and low and behold oil was everywhere! A bolt was missing above the water pump, I mean this bolt wasn't even part of replacing the alternator or water pump. In the end dealer actually owned up to the mistake and even offered to clean my driveway. The lesson I learned was I will never leave the dealer without looking my vehicle over ever again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
More horror stories with Lexus mechanical services, further reading here:
2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer - Club Lexus Forums

When we bought our 2008 Limited, I had seller take our RAV4 to local Toyota dealer.
- rear brake pads, would pass but close to minimum spec...SUV had 89,000 Km.
- I agreed to pay $200 extra, in private sale purchase price
The job was done right, but easy part change plus safety inspection was $470.

Our son lives in Toronto, and he brings his car home and my independent and good friend only touches his last car.
South of London, is a 2 hour drive from TO / our garage owner, now has 7 customers that make the drive.
- and get it done right / a typical big city brake job costs +1,000
- he does it for half that $$, so out of town customers, book a holiday from work, drive here and save a bundle

My brothers friend, was quoted $4,800 for a 4 wheel brake job on his Audi.
My brother told him were to get the best brake kit in Canada & used his mechanic, up north...Saved $4,000 on a full job, staying away from the SteelerShip.
- have to almost avoid, except for warranty work

^^ I do and established a friendship with my garage owner, only his top person touches my vehicles.
- a retired AirForce mechanic, of 25 years...super well trained, knows procedures & very smart

Last week boss had a quick tire change to do, install winter tires...I helped him & even cleaned the customers alloy rims.
A few months ago, I helped him load a 100 worn tires, into his truck & dump trailer (for recycle).
- he treats me good, and I have the freedom to walk into his shop & talk directly to head mechanic & discuss parts to order & problems encountered
- out on the shop floor, I will even pickup garbage / boss respects & appreciates me & I feel the same way, for him

I will never sit in a waiting room (with my vehicle - out of sight / out of mind), and have some
"Yo-Ho diddle-diddle Technician" assigned to work on my vehicle, without an excellent problem solving & mechanical skill set / I hand pick my garages, and I hand pick my mechanics !!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We live 1 hour 20 minutes from Ottawa and bought our 2007 from Kanata Toyota. Just wondering what your dealership is since I understand they are all owned by only a couple different people.
it was the dealership in Hull, on the Quebec side, the one in Gatineau is the same crappy service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts