Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I've been there for a while just reading your posts but today I'm searching for a solution for my problem.
I own a Toyota Rav4 Sport 2009 2.2D4D Manual transmision and it's really hard to put it in 1st gear when you're moving even a little bit,unless you put it into neutral a couple of times and apply a lot of pressure,then it will get into 1st but not really soft and fluid.I'm not talking about 20km/h or so,basically moving a little bit.It drives me crazy in traffic guys,i need to stop to put in into 1st.I own it for about 3 4 months,it's like that since the day i got it.Should i be worried? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Most of the posters here are from North America. We don't have diesels or a manual transmission option at all........it's petrol and automatic.

Hopefully someone from your side of the pond can lend a helping hand.

Reactions: Steka

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I don't know how it is supposed to behave but learn about double-clutching. That is, when you put it into neutral, let the clutch out, blip the throttle a bit, then push it into first. Done right, you don't even have to touch the clutch for either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It sounds like the synchros(sp?) are worn out, unless you want to rebuild the transmission I suggest you learn to double clutch like pico suggested. I never had to give it any gas though; just take it out of gear, let up on the clutch for a sec, then push it back in and drop to first(that was a 60's Fairlane without synchros at all).

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I don't understand the need to shift to first while moving. When I drove stick shift cars I kicked them into neutral while slowing down instead of downshifting. After stopping I shifted into first. If I needed to accelerate before stopping completely I used second.

Reactions: Steka and pico

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,thanks a lot!
I will try double clutching today!
Well i think i have a need to use 1st when moving over a barrier or something so i need to move really really slowly,not enough for second gear,so just move slowly,pop into first and get rolling without a need to stop completely

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Another factor may be that the clutch isn't releasing fully making it difficult for the synchros to work. If that was the case it would be nearly impossible to shift to reverse w/o shutting the engine off since reverse doesn't have synchros to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Another factor may be that the clutch isn't releasing fully making it difficult for the synchros to work. If that was the case it would be nearly impossible to shift to reverse w/o shutting the engine off since reverse doesn't have synchros to my knowledge.
Just what I was thinking too. Since it's likely he has a hydraulic clutch, perhaps there's a problem with either of the cylinders. If it's mechanical, maybe an adjustment.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I'm with Dr.Dyno and raveneuer about the problem likely being that the clutch is not releasing completely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your responses guys! I dont think that's the reason here because it poops into reverse just fine as soon as i stop..I tried double clutching but no success,it needs some practice i suppouse

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
pico is correct in post #3. Double clutching when done with revving the engine the right amount HAS to work. I've actually used it to drive cars with broken clutch cables where revving it in neutral between shifts was the ONLY option.

You can determine the correct rpm by noting the position of the tachometer and speedometer once you do have it in first. At a certain speed, say 15 mph whatever the tach reads is the rpm you need at that speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys i tried it again tonight and i think i did it right once!:) Thanks a lot for your help,i think i'll drive it like this until i visit my stealership.Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Guys i tried it again tonight and i think i did it right once!:)
When you get good at it, and you probably will, you are likely to use it all the time even when you don't need it. I drive my old Bugs that way. Always have. :) Very often I just match revs going down, and no clutch going up. It's slow but so am I. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts