Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never purchased a new car before.

I just picked up my RAV4 V6 Limited last week and I was wondering if I had to do anything else besides contacting my insurance agent. Do I have to contact the DMV or did the dealer do that?

Again, stupid n00b question, I know...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Assuming you live in the US...

If you had a temporary license taped on your window by the dealer

then your dealer is handling licensing for you.

You should talk to your sales person to see if the dealership calls you when they have the plates or you will be getting them in the mail.

Would expect there is some variation to the process depending on which state you live in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In California, everything is handled by the dealer. The will contact DMV for you. You should receive your plates in about 6 to 8 weeks if they weren't personalized. My personalized plates took 16 weeks to arrive!

S

·
0 Posts
The plates should be shipped to you directly from the dealer. They get the plates from the DMV and then reship them to the new owner :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
The plates should be shipped to you directly from the dealer. They get the plates from the DMV and then reship them to the new owner :D
\

That may or may not be true. Since the original poster didn't tell us where they're from, I don't know the right answer. But in Arkansas and Oklahoma, the dealer only mails you the final paperwork about 10 days after the deal is signed and then you take all the paperwork to the local tax office and pay sales taxes and license fees. The tax office provides you with the tags at that time.

James

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am in California, I did have a temp license put in the windshield, and I did pay licensing fees.

I think I just worried myself after reading something about registration and realizing that I never had any contact with the DMV about registering my vehicle.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

R

·
0 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
Yes, this is the way it SHOULD be done. My dealer sent me a postcard informing me that my plate was in, to come pick it up, and pay the $15 fee remaining (I paid an "estimated" fee at closing).

I was a little put off by this -- it's a 1.5 hour round trip for me to the dealer to do this -- and told them so, politely. The cashier lady thought I was being a "problem" and called the manager. When the manager arrived, he agreed with me that it would have been nice for them to call me, take the remaining fee transaction over the phone, and mail my plate to my home address.

I miss the old days, when "the customer was always right," even if he wasn't really. When I -- the customoer -- AM right, and the service agent doesn't want to hear it, I wonder where the heck we are going in this world.

To be fair, their service department was much better. I tried to order by phone some mudflaps and a bumper applique from a dealer closer to my home (about 15 min. away), and they wouldn't do it -- said I had to come and order these IN PERSON -- in other words, I had to come in twice: once to order and once to pick up. I offered to pay by credit card for the items in advance. No dice; they wouldn't do it. I told them that that was not very smart, and that they probably lost a customer. Yes, I was NICE about it, but I spoke plainly -- it's just the way I am, and I think if enough people like me tell them the truth, it may help them someday. I called the farther-away dealer (where I bought the car), and they gladly took my order, but WOULD NOT take my credit card, then they sent me postcards when the product was in.

It's a strange world of customer service these days....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts