Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I have a question, wondering if anyone can give me some information. I have a 2007 Rav4 and I had taken my car recently to the dealer to have the multiple laundry list of recalls fixed. I received a call in from them telling me about the status of the vehicle and when it would ready however, they mentioned that my rear axle differential was leaking fluid. They offered me to have fixed quoting me a price of $890 for 8 hours of labor :oops: :sick:. I declined to have them do it. As I know dealerships are known for charging customers astronomical amounts of money to have things done. I wanted to take it my mechanic to have it done. I took it to him yesterday, as I also needed an oil change. I showed him the receipt of all of the recalls fixed along with the comment of the leaking of the different seals. He confirmed that it would take 8 hours of labor, and it would cost me $800 :oops: My question is does it cost this much to do? Does it take that long for it to be completed? Money is a issue right now for me. Any helpful information would be awesome. Thanks :):cautious:

·
Registered
293 Posts
My BS meter is going off here. I have a leaking diff seal, but I can guarantee you it won't take me 8 hours to fix and won't cost anywhere near $800, even if I pay myself labor. Axle seals are pretty straight forward to replace. If it was the pinion seal, that's a different story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My BS meter is going off here. I have a leaking diff seal, but I can guarantee you it won't take me 8 hours to fix and won't cost anywhere near $800, even if I pay myself labor. Axle seals are pretty straight forward to replace. If it was the pinion seal, that's a different story.
Hey Ike,

I just checked the Note in the work order. Both Rear Axle Seals and input shaft seal leaking in rear differential.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have you looked to make sure they are leaking? Just curious.

Have you had the fluid changed recently? New fluid can remove deposits around the seals and make it leak.

If you have not changed the fluid, it's probably nasty and that could be making the seals leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked to make sure they are leaking? Just curious.

Have you had the fluid changed recently? New fluid can remove deposits around the seals and make it leak.

If you have not changed the fluid, it's probably nasty and that could be making the seals leak.
No, I'm not able to get under the car because I have no idea where to look to check. But apparently this was something my mechanic might of mentioned to me in the past that I might of needed to have to done. I might of forgot, he says he believes he gave me a printout of the estimate. I don't recall. But would doing all this work cost $800?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes and no. It depends on the shop. The seals are inexpensive, about $20 for all 3. You will need new fluid.
The biggest cost is time. This vid shows how to replace the front seal. The side seals are easier. For those, you remove the rear cv axle(it's not that hard, but there are a few steps) and replace the seal. Pop the cv axle back in and put the wheel assembly back together. Top off fluid. If you are doing one and the others need it, it shouldn'r be a heck of a lot more to do it while you have it apart. I would charge ~$400-$600 to do it.

No, I'm not able to get under the car because I have no idea where to look to check. But apparently this was something my mechanic might of mentioned to me in the past that I might of needed to have to done. I might of forgot, he says he believes he gave me a printout of the estimate. I don't recall. But would doing all this work cost $800?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and no. It depends on the shop. The seals are inexpensive, about $20 for all 3. You will need new fluid.
The biggest cost is time. This vid shows how to replace the front seal. The side seals are easier. For those, you remove the rear cv axle(it's not that hard, but there are a few steps) and replace the seal. Pop the cv axle back in and put the wheel assembly back together. Top off fluid. If you are doing one and the others need it, it shouldn'r be a heck of a lot more to do it while you have it apart. I would charge ~$400-$600 to do it.
My mechanic charges $90/hr which is cheap. It would be $720 for 8 hour job. Guess $80 for parts??? Which seems a bit weird, I guess for fluid that leaked out as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts