Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rear brake issue?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Foryota 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone! This is awesome. I’ve never posted in a forum before lol. But anyway, I have a 2012 limited edition RAV4 6cyl 4wd. It has 80k now. I got the front brakes replaced fine, but the rear back left had worn down not the right. I remember my dad having an issue where this was making a funny noise years before. Why would the one side wear bald snd the other side not. I asked if caliber was sticking and mechanic said he didn’t believe so. Any suggestions???

#2 ·
In my experience the tolerance between the caliper bracket and the pad ears is too slim. Particularly if the vehicle is subject to rusting conditions, the corrosion on the caliper brackets under the stainless clips can cause swelling, which will pinch the pad ears and prevent them from applying or releasing - pick one [emoji6]. However to get to this 0point to check, you need to disassemble the rear brakes anyway, so the first thing is to check the slide pins, clean them, and re-grease them. I use a large flat file to skim off any corrosion on the parts of the caliper brackets which the stainless clips contact, then apply a coat of paint and/or anti-seize before reinstalling the clips. It’s not ideal nor is it a long-term one-fix, but it does help me prolong my rear pad life. As I use snow and summer tires, I do a brake service at every seasonal tire change - this only makes sense to do this often if you do it yourself.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD. Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

Link to SAE J2807 test description

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum

Totally with @Foryota on this one, something is binding in there. You should do/have a brake service done. Make sure the ears/hardware is lubed with anti seize and the slide pins are cleaned/lubed with silicone paste.

When replacing the pads, you can check the resistance of the calipers when pushing them back to allow the new pads to be fitted - should feel the same. If the LHS is far harder to push back than the RHS, that could be your problem

#4 ·
I can tell you that up in VT, since they switched to using "brine solution" spray instead of the old rock salt in the winter, our Honda dealer started offering a "brake rebuild" service to preempt this exact kind of problem. Basically, they just take the brakes apart, clean, lube and reassemble. Obviously some kind of corrosion issue (magnified by the finer saline spray) is causing the calipers to bind, and the open design wheel patterns popular today just exacerbate the issue. Our 09 CRV used to go through back brakes 2:1 over the front - I've never experienced that before.

The CRV has been retired in favor of my new(ish) 2018 Rav4 LE, but it would not surprise me if a similar service was necessary due to where I live.

#5 ·
I can tell you that up in VT, since they switched to using "brine solution" spray instead of the old rock salt in the winter, our Honda dealer started offering a "brake rebuild" service to preempt this exact kind of problem. Basically, they just take the brakes apart, clean, lube and reassemble. Obviously some kind of corrosion issue (magnified by the finer saline spray) is causing the calipers to bind, and the open design wheel patterns popular today just exacerbate the issue. Our 09 CRV used to go through back brakes 2:1 over the front - I've never experienced that before.

The CRV has been retired in favor of my new(ish) 2018 Rav4 LE, but it would not surprise me if a similar service was necessary due to where I live.
I’m in southern Ontario, and although my city stopped using brine on our roads, our provincial highways are still hit with it. This in addition to getting 100% salt or a 90/10 sand/salt mixture. This is known here as a brake service, and it’s been necessary for many years, going back at least 10-15 when I last worked as a tech. I do the pad mounts every 6 months, and the pins/sliders annually in the spring.

Of course parking in a garage in salty winters can exacerbate problems too. For three winters I was parking in an unheated garage at work which was still MUCH warmer and more humid than outdoors (no air circulation either) so The rusting on my undercarriage sped up noticeably.

Reactions: Bigphil555
#6 ·
This is precisely what happens when brakes are neglected. Even if they are serviced well like most of us do, after many years, this is also what happens when the caliper gets sticky, the pins get worn and lack lubrication and when the ears of the brake pads can't move easily in their groove.
If all the mechanic said to you was "it's probably not the caliper", maybe you should visit another garage? He could have and should have explained to you what we just did.
Once you take a look, it should be obvious what part of the brakes are sticking. The caliper may be bad also.
Brakes should be serviced annually so they last a long time.
Good luck....

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, the caliber is fine. That’s why I’m posting on here. It’s very unlikely for the left pad to be metal on metal and the right side be virtually brand new. He said it wasn’t the caliber and he was the second mechanic. It’s a 2012, I’m not an expert but I feel like something else is causing this issue like the others mentioned. I’m gonna rebuild the brake this weekend. Never have, but I got the anti seize lube, high heat lubricant and will get new pins tomorrow

#8 ·
Go read my long post again. I wasn’t talking about the calipers, but the mounts and the tabs for the pads. THAT is what you need to check.

#10 ·
Go read my long post again. I wasn’t talking about the calipers, but the mounts and the tabs for the pads. THAT is what you need to check.

@Foryota I think there was confusion in that, I was NOT replying to your comment. I know what you’re talking about man, I was replying to another person. Maybe I posted under yours as well. Sorry about that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.