Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 07 Rav 4 limited V6 and just noticed back rotors all rust. Not sure how long not working because wife's car and I seldom drive it. Front look fine. Both back rotors look the same. Would like to know where to start looking for cause of this. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Jack up the rear....have someone step on the brake.....try to turn each wheel by hand......brake rotors can start to rust in a matter of minutes so this is a very easy way to check....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rav4system,
I will try that. These are rusted so bad. It is not just surface rust from damp weather. I can tell they have not had contact with pads for quite some time. I thought they felt a little weak, but I am used to the brakes on my truck which were always stronger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vanib,
I know it is not just surface rust from dampness. I do not think the calipers are working. They must be froze up or not getting fluid for some reason. I am going to
try what rav4system suggested to see if calipers are moving at all.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Rav4system's test is to determine whether the brakes actually work, but you probably won't be able to see any caliper movement (with the RAV they are solidly attached) nor probably any other movement. What moves is actually the caliper piston which presses the brake pad into contact with the brake disk (rotor), and that amount of movement generally is so small that is visually difficult to see, since the pads normally are so nearly in contact with the rotor that movement is not noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Blogson,
I understand what you are saying so I am going to try rav4system's test and also check condition of pads. I will get back to you guys with results. Thanks guys again for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts