Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Rav4, manual transmission, 4WD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon!

While looking under my car, I noticed the rear bump stop on the passenger side detached and on the bottom of the spring. I can't find any information on how they are installed.

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Bumper

There seems to be a metal plate that it was attached to. It's badly rusted;along with the bolt.
Wood Gas Metal Bumper Tints and shades

What's the solution? Looking online, the replacement from the dealer don't seem to have the plate and screw. Is there an alternative?

Any help, insight, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, 5-door, JDM engine installed in 2013
146 Posts
From looking at the service manual, parts sites and the part (p/n 48306-42040, "spring bumper"), it looks to me like the plate is included (possibly normally attached?).

To download the service manual section, go to post #3 at www.rav4world.com/threads/alignment-tricks.311161/ . See page 95 of this service manual section. Page 95 shows the bolt. The service manual gives some guidance for replacement.

See also this parts diagram:
jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=662110&cartype=17&fig=4804
(Edit: This does not show a drawing of the bolt. It does indicate a p/n of 91626-B0820 right below the sketch of the spring bumper. Googling on the latter p/n indicates it is a bolt and washer.)

Pictures of the part that seem to show the plate appear at:
baza.drom.ru/chita/sell_spare_parts/otbojnik-toyota-rav4-sxa1-94-00-2wd-st-48306-42040-g3881735923.html

www.ebay.com/itm/353922013083?epid=20043911615&hash=item526765579b:g:IF4AAOSw9y1iEOWt

·
Registered
146 Posts
-- FWIW, the first generation forum here has a few reports of the rear spring bumpers failing in the way you described.

-- For the record, I do not make videos. It's L35 (a.k.a. Rav4world member "demoder") that does the amazing videos and is a rock star in the automotive repair world afaic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
iowagold, if you want the (spring bumper) bolt part number, I think it is 90080-11206 (replacing 91626-B0820). See the jp-carparts.com link above. The bolt per se is not shown but the part number for a bolt appears right below the little sketch of the spring bumper. Googling on the part number says both a bolt and washer are included. Photo from toyotapartsdeal:
Household hardware Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

·
Registered
146 Posts
i need the bolts for the rear alignment
See jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=662110&cartype=18&fig=4804 , showing the rear driver's side:
Organism Font Handwriting Schematic Parallel

The four adjusting bolts and their associated parts are p/n's:

90119-12278 Bolts

48409 CAM SUB-ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION TOE ADJUST
48409-42011

48452R PLATE, REAR SUSPENSION TOE ADJUST, NO.2
48452-42011

I think these are the same for the 2-door and 4-door.

Double check me by putting in your Rav's VIN at www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html . Drill down to the powertrain / chassis section, then diagram 48-04 "rear spring & shock absorber."

·
Registered
146 Posts
Google the part numbers and see all the online listings that come up and whether they indicate in stock or not.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My three favorite resources for identifying part numbers and locating Rav4 parts:

jp-carparts.com/toyota/cartypelist.php?maker=toyota&type=662110
Drawings are invaluable. Nearly always will nail the part one is seeking. Pick out the frame number that seems closest to one's Rav4. Note the number of the diagram, since this will be helpful using the next parts site.

www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
Put in the VIN or frame number of the Rav4. No drawings, but note how the parts are in categories identical to that at jp-carparts.com . Note that the diagram numbers are the same.

Google the part number. Parts sites like toyotapartsdeal come up. Parts for sale at eBay come up. These sites can give more information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My three favorite resources for identifying part numbers and locating Rav4 parts:

jp-carparts.com/toyota/cartypelist.php?maker=toyota&type=662110
Drawings are invaluable. Nearly always will nail the part one is seeking. Pick out the frame number that seems closest to one's Rav4. Note the number of the diagram, since this will be helpful using the next parts site.

www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
Put in the VIN or frame number of the Rav4. No drawings, but note how the parts are in categories identical to that at jp-carparts.com . Note that the diagram numbers are the same.

Google the part number. Parts sites like toyotapartsdeal come up. Parts for sale at eBay come up. These sites can give more information.
Thank you for this info, @Elle__Rav4 ! You are a wealth of great information.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota RAV4 2-Door Base FWD A/T
126 Posts
So is the bolt all that's needed to replace the bump stop? I have Energy suspension bump stops I'm cutting to fit, do I need the plate piece as well? @Boldrush what size would you estimate the bolt is? I was just gonna go down to a hardware store and find something of the same size.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So is the bolt all that's needed to replace the bump stop? I have Energy suspension bump stops I'm cutting to fit, do I need the plate piece as well? @Boldrush what size would you estimate the bolt is? I was just gonna go down to a hardware store and find something of the same size.

Yes, the bolt and washer is all that is needed to change the bump stop if you are using one like the OEM.
Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

The plate comes adhered to the bump stop. That is what separated from the bump stop allowing it to roll around in rear spring.

As for the bolt size, I'm installing it today (if it wants to stop raining) and let you know once I measure it. I can tell you it does take a 12mm socket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts