Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you just clean the area, peel, and stick? Is this a worthwhile option to consider? Thanks!

Tom

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It already was on my sport, so I'm not sure about the ease
of installation. The trick would be making sure they're arent' any
air bubbles underneath as you're applying it. It doesn't look like much , but it definitely will help
avoid scratching the bumper when you load stuff in & out.
Just like any other accessory....it's a bit over priced though.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Found it on eBay for $45 + $9 shipping and at ToyotaPartsStore for $44 + shipping -- according to them, MSRP is $56. Debating buying it myself, since the plastic topside of the bumper is just asking for scratches... :p

Looks like it's clear with a Toyota logo and some grooves/lines molded or frosted into it?

I cringe at the idea of stepping on or resting anything against the bumper. I think a better design would use a black rubberized material that drops over the edge of the bumper by about an inch to protect it also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also bought this and tried installing this morning. And the results were the following:

-Fingerprints. I washed my hands prior and still had fingerprints on it with dirt. Becareful what you touch when getting near the car. You can pick up dirt from the trunk handle even after washing the car.

-Air bubbles. The biggest pain in the rear about it. Unpeeling and reapplying can cause the adhesive to go bad after awhile.

-Do this on a non windy day. In NYC, it is finally at a temperature where it is bearable to work outdoors, but the wind was a butt kicker.

-The right side was a bit tricky. You have to some how get that adhesive on the bumper by door hinge area.

At the end, I ended up unpeeling it and tossing into the trash. I will instead get that 3M paint protector - also an adhesive. This is a cheaper alternative but I won't get that cool Toyota logo.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
sko580 said:
Fingerprints - Air bubbles -
At the end, I ended up unpeeling it and tossing into the trash.
One of my jobs at the port is to INSPECT these rear bumper covers before final shippment. I'm sure the installers in the shop are VERY TIRED of me sending units back to be reinstalled and/or replaced. :x These guys install them all day long... and still have a difficult time getting it right. The DARK colors are the hardest to deal with. Sure wish TOYOTA had gone with the FULL RUBBER cover option instead of this CLEAR VINYL type :(

·
Registered
271 Posts
With that said.... Is the Canadian one the same as the US except in a black color? Can someone confirm that? I really would like to put one before any scratches. Almost got one this afternoon when I was loading a wet vacumn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts