Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a rear bumper applique installed by the dealer on my 2016 RAV4.
I thought it should have wrapped the rear edge of the bumper to potect it, but it just sits on the top of the bumper?? Kind of unless to protect edge.
Anyone have a closeup picture of theirs installed on rear bumper?
Or instructions on how it should have been installed?

With the rear hatch closed, I can barely see the toyota symbol on it.

Thanks
Chuck
New 2016 RAV4 Hybrid owner

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I got mine from my local dealer for $109 with their Costco discount, installed it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, may switch to the bumper protector. But does anyone have the clear applique 3M protector installed?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Check your dealer's inventory for a model with the "protection package", which should have the bumper film on it. Point being you can go see how the factory does it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, it came as part of a package on mine. It is pretty disappointing. I will likely get the more substantial protector (pictured in a post previous) down the road. Fortunately for me when the retriever jumps in the back, she completely clears that level that the clear protector is on and lands on the carpet mat that I have inside, so I don't see it as being in too much danger :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes, it came as part of a package on mine. It is pretty disappointing. I will likely get the more substantial protector (pictured in a post previous) down the road. Fortunately for me when the retriever jumps in the back, she completely clears that level that the clear protector is on and lands on the carpet mat that I have inside, so I don't see it as being in too much danger :)
Mine is there for dogs too. They like to jump in then turn around and stand with the front feet on the bumper. It seems to work very well and they mostly plant their feet on it going in either direction. I know the applique wouldn't last a year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 SE with the rear bumper applique. I tried to draw a red line where the bottom of the plastic is. It definitely goes over the bumper edge and about halfway down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took a look at mine again and not all of the horizontal surface is covered. There is about a 1in gap to the vertical sheet metal of the bumper. When the hatch is closed I see all of the word Toyota on the plastic.

So it depends on how the plastic gets installed. Either you get full horizontal surface coverage or partial with the edge covered.

·
Registered
138 Posts
They definitely installed in incorrectly. When I ordered mine I ordered the rear bumper applique. When I came in I took a look and it wrapped around the leading edge of the bumper. I ended up getting a different TRH instead and installed the rear bumper protector instead. I would go back to the dealer and have them pull up the instructions and show that it was installed wrong and have them exchange it for the rear bumper protector instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Dealer agrees installer placed in wrong spot. They are ordering a bumper protector for me. They will remove applique and replace with protector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy.. bumping this old thread. Is there a part number or reference for the rear bumper protector from Toyota?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a black rubber one (instead of the silver/chrome) option that is shown?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts