Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: As I was installing my new Hidden Hitch I found two flat Brackets hanging down just in front of the rear bumper. They are on the outside edges in line with the wheels. They each have two welded nuts in them. The brackets are bolted to the bumper mounts.

Does anyone have an idea what they are for?

My guess is that they are for an accessory Bumper Bar that I've seen in some non-US accessory guides.

By-the-way: the hitch was easy to install, took less than half an hour. I wish their trailer wiring would be as quick. Can't understand why Toyota don't include the wiring in the trailer prep like most other US cars and trucks. I'd gladly have paid another $100 for plug and play wiring, especially in a SUV.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Are you getting a bicycle rack for your hitch? If so, what kind? I would like to get one but I'm not ordering until I'm absolutely sure it will work.

R

·
0 Posts
A bike rack will work for sure if you take the rear spare off.
Even if you get an extension bar and clear the spare, you wouldn't want to scratch that pretty cover. I think I would travel without the cover just in case.

Looks like the hitches at Etrailer.com for the 2006's are all class III with the 2" receivers...so, no problem there for a bike mount. You just don't want the smaller receivers because most accessories are the 2" variety.

Who's getting a little propeller insert? They're so cute when they spin :lol:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I haven't ordered it yet but I think I'm going with the hidden hitch swing out bike rack. It swings out 42' which is wide enough I believe. If it doesn't clear the spare when folded, I'll get a 7" extension.

I ordered my hitch yesterday and will measure the pin to post distance so I'll know whether I need the extension.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Janos said:
I haven't ordered it yet but I think I'm going with the hidden hitch swing out bike rack. It swings out 42' which is wide enough I believe. If it doesn't clear the spare when folded, I'll get a 7" extension.

I ordered my hitch yesterday and will measure the pin to post distance so I'll know whether I need the extension.
thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a hunch.....

I was digging in my spare tire tool kit, where the lug wrench and jack lift twirly bar is.......and I found a big ass threaded eye bolt.

Would your nuts be a receiver for a removable tow rope hookup point for the big ass threaded eye bolt?

Could be handy for break over angle clearance with a removeable eye.....

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
The big tow eyelet mounts behind the square cutouts in the front bumper for emergency towing, see page 340 of the OM, there were 2 from the factory, one was discarded as part of the new vehicle prep by the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts