Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small dent (about a half inch wide and not deep) and some scratches on the top of my rear bumper on my 2016 RAV4 XLE. I stopped by the dealer to inquire about getting a bumper protector installed to cover all this up. The woman in the service department told me I could not put the cover over the dent as the tape would not hold and I should just go to the body shop to get the bumper fixed. I don't see why the protector will not work. I cannot locate any after market options so it looks like the Toyota part would be my only option. Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota bumper protector?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a small dent (about a half inch wide and not deep) and some scratches on the top of my rear bumper on my 2016 RAV4 XLE. I stopped by the dealer to inquire about getting a bumper protector installed to cover all this up. The woman in the service department told me I could not put the cover over the dent as the tape would not hold and I should just go to the body shop to get the bumper fixed. I don't see why the protector will not work. I cannot locate any after market options so it looks like the Toyota part would be my only option. Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota bumper protector?
I want to get the front bar / rear bar.
Not sure if that's what you mean by "bumper protector"
I looked on amazon for the front/rear bumper bars but i don't like any of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am speaking of the Toyota accessory part that goes on top of the rear bumper. I believe it is stainless steel (or at least looks like it is).

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
That's nonsense. There is PLENTY of tape on the back of the protector. If the dent is as small and shallow as you say, it will have no effect. Go to the parts counter and order the protector, or get it from a dealer online for less money, and install it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a very shallow dent and small. I think they just want to sell me an expensive body shop repair.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is a very shallow dent and small. I think they just want to sell me an expensive body shop repair.
I plan to put one on and haven't yet, but I put one on my 2009 Venza and this lady is full of crap (if its a small ding). Just go buy one and put it on yourself. They just use auto grade adhesive tape to hold to bumper and it's a simple job.

·
Registered
109 Posts

This is the one I got for my 2016 Limited hybrid. Easy to install and there is plenty of adhesive on the back to cover and adhere over a small dent. No reason to go to a body shop for bumper repair. Just install this and you cover up the small dent plus your bumper is protected. I like how this one covers the outer edge of the bumper also.

2016 2017 RAV4 REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR FACTORY TOYOTA OEM NEW! | eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the help. I thought about getting the part and putting it on myself, but wasn't sure if it was difficult or not. I did take a shot of the small area that is damaged. I had a hard time getting a decent angle, but you can get a sense of what I was trying to describe.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I appreciate all the help. I thought about getting the part and putting it on myself, but wasn't sure if it was difficult or not. I did take a shot of the small area that is damaged. I had a hard time getting a decent angle, but you can get a sense of what I was trying to describe.
A heat gun or even a hair dryer on the spot and a small piece of wood to help push it down and even it out. Check youtube for howto ideas.

Reactions: camcdona

·
Registered
428 Posts
The one posted above is plastic (as most OEM covers are) and will have no problem covering the majority (if not all) of that. I'd buy it and see because either way, fix bumper or no fix bumper you will want it to avoid further damage anyway.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the one I got for my 2016 Limited hybrid. Easy to install and there is plenty of adhesive on the back to cover and adhere over a small dent. No reason to go to a body shop for bumper repair. Just install this and you cover up the small dent plus your bumper is protected. I like how this one covers the outer edge of the bumper also.

2016 2017 RAV4 REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR FACTORY TOYOTA OEM NEW! | eBay
That listing says this is polished stainless steel which is shinny chrome like in color?? Is that wrong, as it looks all black which would mean black anodized not polished?
Thanks--Kevin...

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
It's stainless and black plastic just as it says in the description, part # PU060-42016-P1, see pic in post #5.

Item specifics

Condition:New Manufacturer Part Number: PU060-42016-P1

Part Brand: TOYOTA

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's stainless and black plastic just as it says in the description, part # PU060-42016-P1, see pic in post #5.

Item specifics

Condition:New Manufacturer Part Number: PU060-42016-P1

Part Brand: TOYOTA
OK, I'll reduce the question. Is this all black, or shinny chrome in color?
Thank you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ya, the pics are very hard to tell what is chrome colored and what is black so I thought I'd ask before ordering. Shiny chrome would not look so great on my darker metalic gray I don't think as it would stand out more than I care it to? I may need to drive the lot and look closer at them.
Thanks again..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is there a non-chrome version of that protector?
I'm not a big fan of chrome exterior for the rav4.
That is my confusion. I swear I saw an all dark / black protector when I was searching the lots. Possibly I have confused with 4Runner as I was looking at those also.
Not much chrome on my Rav, so not sure why they went this route if this is it?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts