Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 RAV4 Sport V6 that has a cracked bumper cover from a parking lot incident. From watching YouTube videos, this looks like a pretty simple DIY replacement. I found a prepainted rear bumper on Amazon <$300 that got good reviews. It looks to be about a $750 fix based on shop estimates.

Anyone else use the prepainted route before? The one I'm looking at comes without the flare, but the flare on mine is OK so I can use it.

Thanks for the help!
-Pete

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I've got a 2011 RAV4 Sport V6 that has a cracked bumper cover from a parking lot incident. From watching YouTube videos, this looks like a pretty simple DIY replacement. I found a prepainted rear bumper on Amazon <$300 that got good reviews. It looks to be about a $750 fix based on shop estimates.

Anyone else use the prepainted route before? The one I'm looking at comes without the flare, but the flare on mine is OK so I can use it.

Thanks for the help!
-Pete
Just to be clear, Pete, there are at least 2 different bumper covers available. One is made for the Base model that has no fender flares, and one made for the Sport and Limited that do have flares. There may also be different versions for the regular Sport with the spare on the back and the Sport Appearance Package which has no spare. All of these models were available in 2011.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reminder. I know which bumper model I have (Sport w/flares) and will double check before I order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For what it's worth, I am in a similar situation with my wife's '09 Base. I went to the dealership, got the exact replacement rear bumper cover model #, went on ebay and found a paint to match bumper which references my OEM # as a replacement, shipped to my door for $229. Takes about 2-3 weeks, but I am giving it a try. I saw quite a few comments in various youtube videos about "Thank you, ordered a new pre-painted bumper, and this video helped me install it easily!" Looks like a pretty straight forward 20-30 minute swap. I can't speak to any level of success yet, because the bumper isn't here, but ebay (and amazon) tend to really support the buyer, so if anything is awry in terms of quality or fit I should be protected.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My daughter was learning to drive and backed my 2012 Silver Rav into our brick mail box and it crushed the tail light and the bumper cover. I bought a new tail light and paid a body shop 50 bucks to install it. The bumper cover just about fell off and I beat out the dent from the other side and compounded and sanded it then painted it with aerosol duplicolor. After several coats of clear coat I reinstalled it and it doesn't look bad at all for a car with 150K miles on it. A body shop probably would have charged me two grand.

·
Registered
419 Posts
FYI - for those reading this thread, if one only had a Dent in the bumper cover:
- preheat a few minutes with a heat gun, and pop the dent out, from behind / don't over-heat though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Allen, I have a similar situation, would you be willing to share the link of the Amazon bumper cover you found. I found a few online but they aren't the same color as my paint, the replacement would be much easier if I can find the bumper cover that's the right color.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could try ebay to see if this cover would work for you
Thanks for that link, I did see this on eBay but I don't think it works for my Rav. I have the 2012 V6 Sport edition without the spare tire. But at least you pointed me in the right direction. I'll see if I can find the one that fits my car. From what I've researched I think the one that I need is part number TO1100242C.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Allen, I have a similar situation, would you be willing to share the link of the Amazon bumper cover you found. I found a few online but they aren't the same color as my paint, the replacement would be much easier if I can find the bumper cover that's the right color.
This may be the same link as the poster directly above me, but I recently bought a bumper from this seller, you identify your own paint color. It's sitting in my sun porch right now waiting for decent weather to install it. The timeframe they give you in terms of shipping is accurate. I cannot speak to fit/finish since I have not installed it yet, but so far so good:

NEW Painted To Match Rear Bumper Cover For 20092012 Toyota RAV4 w/o Flare NEW Painted To Match - Rear Bumper Cover For 2009-2012 Toyota RAV4 w/o Flare | eBay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks cdgreg, the link you provided is for a bumper cover for a Rav4 with the spare tire, have you seen one without the spare tire? My Rav4 is a Magnetic Grey 2012 Sport V6 without spare tire. I think the part number is TO1100242C. I found a few listings for it on eBay but none of them are the right color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, I think I found it under one of the listings for the eBay seller mbiauto, unfortunately this system won't allow me to post a link to it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks cdgreg, the link you provided is for a bumper cover for a Rav4 with the spare tire, have you seen one without the spare tire? My Rav4 is a Magnetic Grey 2012 Sport V6 without spare tire. I think the part number is TO1100242C. I found a few listings for it on eBay but none of them are the right color.
Why don't you give them a call ! They can tell you if they have what your looking for by using your VIN number.

So please don't hesitate
CALL US WITH ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
888-PART-4-CAR​

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why don't you give them a call ! They can tell you if they have what your looking for by using your VIN number.

So please don't hesitate
CALL US WITH ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
888-PART-4-CAR​
Okay, I'm new to this stuff, I didn't realize they can look it up with VIN, I will definitely call.

Thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quick final piece of feedback, I finally had the opportunity to install the bumper on my wife's rav. The bumper fits perfectly and looks great. I would definitely purchase from the ebay seller mbiauto again. Looks like the price even dropped $10 lol. Another pro tip is you can setup a free account and then connect your VIN at https://ssl.toyota.com/owners/login?&showMergeAlert=true . If that link doesn't work just google toyota owners login. You can then print a 2 page original document that has your paint code and some other neat original information.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
looks like a good video for the 2006...2008. How close would the procedure for the 2009 be?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quick final piece of feedback, I finally had the opportunity to install the bumper on my wife's rav. The bumper fits perfectly and looks great. I would definitely purchase from the ebay seller mbiauto again. Looks like the price even dropped $10 lol. Another pro tip is you can setup a free account and then connect your VIN at https://ssl.toyota.com/owners/login?&showMergeAlert=true . If that link doesn't work just google toyota owners login. You can then print a 2 page original document that has your paint code and some other neat original information.
THat is great to hear as I am about to buy that cover myself. Did it come with the bumper protector or the step area painted black or coated with a different material like the OEM.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
1. Are the bumper covers shipped in a long box, and is the cover not folded over?

2. Are these the tools needed (from the Youtube video)?
10 mm open end or box wrench
8 mm socket and drive
#2 Phillips screwdriver
medium flat head screwdriver

1 - 20 of 27 Posts