Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of RAV4's rear bumper side markers looking like this:

I called my local Toyota dealer and I found out you can buy the just the lens or the kit. Lens retails for about $9 and the kit for about $21.

I took a lens out to see how bad it was and pieces started to fall off...

:shock:

So the kit it was...

Much better :lol: (You have to go behind the bumper cover.)

It uses 194 bulbs (3.8 watts). You can replce them with lower wattage bulbs for less heat (who knows, maybe the markers will last longer :lol: ) 158's are 3.36 watts and 161's are 2.7 watts.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sig, funny thing that you posted this up. Just this past year I had the opportunity to replace both rear side markers. One got destroyed in an rear bumper accident if anyone remembers. That took out the bumper and side marker.

The other one looked just like yours, except it wasn't falling apart. The housing had those cracks in it and the lens looked the same orange color. Actually it lit up orange instead of red. I replaced it and now the entire rear side markers are both brand new.

I am thinking of putting in some clear side markers from an RX-7 or Supra like how DJSueno has on his RAV. 8)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
DJ Sueno said:
Derek said:
I am thinking of putting in some clear side markers from an RX-7 or Supra like how DJSueno has on his RAV. 8)
I'm surprised you haven't done it yet.... 8)
Well..... partly because we have strict safety enforcement (annual safety checks), and surely they will catch that clear rear sidemarker. I believe the law here states that the rear needs to be red and front amber. Also, the law does not allow the use of clear sidemarkers that are able to flash red or amber. :x I'll probably do it eventually and change it back if I get harrassed too much. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Derek said:
Nope. Just the back side markers. DJ, if you are reading this; do you still have the side photo of your HKS exhaust that shows your clear side marker? :D
Can't find that one at the moment, but I have this other pic, shows the front clears, clear sidemarker, and rear clear marker too :D :

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah, if you know a source I would love to get some also. Esspecially the sides.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
SZRimaging said:
Yeah, if you know a source I would love to get some also. Esspecially the sides.
Are you talking about the clear markers in the front fenders ? if so, you can get them from Mercedes... there was a writeup, I don't know if someone has the writeup, but you have to do some cutting to make it fit... as for the rears are you talking about the rear side markers, or rear markers on the back of the bumper caps that are originally just refletors? Derek has some rear clear lights I believe in his album, correct me if i'm wrong Derek... :p

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, in my album you will see a rear picture with the driving lights that are hooked up to the reverse lights. However, I have since removed them since the accident a few years ago that took one side out. Now I have the red reflectors back on. My rear side markers are still and has always been the red reflectors.

DJ, I think SZR and Pancake are asking about the clear rear side markers that you have on your RAV. If I am not mistaken, they are from an 3rd generation RX-7; or maybe a late model Supra. I can't remember which one you told me awhile back. I'd love to do this same mod., but we have somewhat strict annual safety check procedures here in Hawaii. :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Derek said:
DJ, I think SZR and Pancake are asking about the clear rear side markers that you have on your RAV. If I am not mistaken, they are from an 3rd generation RX-7; or maybe a late model Supra. I can't remember which one you told me awhile back. I'd love to do this same mod., but we have somewhat strict annual safety check procedures here in Hawaii. :cry:
Derek you are correct, it came from a 93+ RX7.. I bought them off Ebay... 8)
One screw hole goes in and lines up, while the other one you just have to screw into the plastic molding, no big deal... they don't sit 100% flush against the molding, but not really noticeable unless you get up close and look at it... One other thing I don't remember is if the bulb holder socket thingy was the same or not... I remember having to cut up and rewire for some reason... it's been so long I don't remember.. I would have to look back at the old posts to see if I mentioned it... either way it wouldn't be difficult to find if it was necessary as many cars use the same bulb/socket combinations... anyways, I am happy with the way it looks... but if you're picky and need them to be 100% perfect flush fit, they are not for you... :p

I can take closer pics to show what i'm talking about if anyone is interested...

--DJ

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
pancake said:
I'd like to see a little closer pics. So its just a 93+ rx7 side marker? I guess I'll have to wait for a clear one to pop up. What about the reverse light?
Correct. I will try to take some pictures and post them tomorrow... 8)

As for the rear reverse light you would have to ask Derek and the others that have done that mod. I still have the stock red reflectors... :(

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The rear bumper fog lights were received from a friend in the Phillipines. They are somewhat special in that they fit exactly in the space left when you remove the red reflector. I remember getting a few sets awhile back for a few forum members here. Too bad mines is broken on one side and my friend has moved back to Singapore. :cry:

It was a sweet fit though, and worked great! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
no there is no site I know you can buy the rear bulbs the whole thing in china town in NYC , me and messajero and Derek got them from Phillipines from a friend of Derek

1 - 19 of 19 Posts