Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first post is unfortunately a negative one. I found these dents on the rear bumper - looks like I was hit in a parking lot. This bumper was just replaced about a month ago. Is there a DIY fix I can do or would you recommend not risking it and/or go into the shop? The material of the bumper has me thrown off on what can be done at home.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Looks like the damage I had to a rear bumper when someone who had projecting acorn-shaped mounting nuts on their front licence plate bumped into my vehicle. The nuts left the same type of indentations on my rear bumper. They were too deep for me to pop out with a hair dryer, for example, so I had to have a body shop replace the bumper cover. Fortunately the guilty party paid the bill so I could keep it off my insurance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the damage I had to a rear bumper when someone who had projecting acorn-shaped mounting nuts on their front licence plate bumped into my vehicle. The nuts left the same type of indentations on my rear bumper. They were too deep for me to pop out with a hair dryer, for example, so I had to have a body shop replace the bumper cover. Fortunately the guilty party paid the bill so I could keep it off my insurance.
Ahh, bummer. Sorry it happened to you as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Hi,

My first post is unfortunately a negative one. I found these dents on the rear bumper - looks like I was hit in a parking lot. This bumper was just replaced about a month ago. Is there a DIY fix I can do or would you recommend not risking it and/or go into the shop? The material of the bumper has me thrown off on what can be done at home.

Thank you!

Yep, I'm sorry that you had this happen as well - extremely annoying! Maybe the cover can be removed and the indentations pressed out, but there probably would still be remnant signs. Of course that won't work if the cover has been penetrated or the indentations have crack marks inside of them. Good luck, and hopefully you won't have to have the bumper cover replaced yet again!

Reactions: SarahM

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't think it's DIY fix,especially the left one. They are too small to replace whole bumper and if you try to fix it by yourself could make it even worse.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You could try Plasti-Dip spray-on coating (or similar brands of rubber coating) to cover the entire rear bumper. It's rubber based and will hide those holes as well as provide added protection to your bumper. It's much cheaper than replacing the entire bumper. It can also be applied professionally.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
that's the reason I leave my hitch ball on ... nothing you can really do, the plastic is stretched and will not go back to the original shape, you can try filling it, and plasti dipping it but even that will not last more than a year or two...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I'm sorry that you had this happen as well - extremely annoying! Maybe the cover can be removed and the indentations pressed out, but there probably would still be remnant signs. Of course that won't work if the cover has been penetrated or the indentations have crack marks inside of them. Good luck, and hopefully you won't have to have the bumper cover replaced yet again!
Thank you, again! Hoping for that too... but not banking on it. :crying

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's DIY fix,especially the left one. They are too small to replace whole bumper and if you try to fix it by yourself could make it even worse.
Ack. So just have to suck it up for the time being, it seems?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could try Plasti-Dip spray-on coating (or similar brands of rubber coating) to cover the entire rear bumper. It's rubber based and will hide those holes as well as provide added protection to your bumper. It's much cheaper than replacing the entire bumper. It can also be applied professionally.
Thank you for this idea! Will check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts