Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Rav4 2.4 2AZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local shop to get an alignment done with a tire balance and they came out and told me that they cannot adjust the rear toe due to a non adjusting rear control arm with a sticker and to go to the dealer and get this replaced. They printed me out a TSB regarding this issue, I managed to get some pictures. My question is should I go to the dealer and possibly get this replaced with no cost since it's a recall. Or should I get a aftermarket control arm and replace it. But It also scratches my head if this was looked at prior by a Toyota dealer why didn't they just replaced the arm instead of putting this sticker saying: "Safety Recall" and "Contact Dealership"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You can get aftermarket control arm and should work. Just don't go to the dealer and let them epoxy it. You should put plenty of grease such as antiseize grease to prevent rusting on the threads.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
The TSB turned into a recall. They will replace the parts with new and perform a four wheel alignment. Once done they epoxy it so the rear can never be aligned again. SOS different day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I went through the same situation a few years ago. They will want to replace the arms again and charge you for an alignment. After I questioned them about the stupidity of the situation, they offered me new control arms at a "campaign price" (about half price) and I installed them myself, then went for an alignment at a local garage. I lubricated and used anti seize on install. I declined the epoxy from the dealership! :)

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
2007 Rav4 2.4 2AZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do replace with aftermarket. Where should I apply anti seize, on the alignment threads or where it bolts on? Where does the issue with the rust happens

·
Registered
327 Posts
Will do replace with aftermarket. Where should I apply anti seize, on the alignment threads or where it bolts on? Where does the issue with the rust happens
I used anti seize on the threads and covered the whole arm with thick rust check once installed. I think the rusting issue was inside on the threads.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Toyota keeps bugging me by mail to get this stupid recall done, but I have refused. I don't want my arms sealed up with epoxy preventing a proper alignment. Since I don't live in the rust belt, and my RAV isn't exposed to road salt, it isn't necessary!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts