Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had their rear defogger repaired under warranty. I recently noticed that one of my defogger grids stopped working. I must have cleaned the back window a couple of weeks ago, but I was always careful when doing that. I would always clean and wipe the glass horizontally to avoid breaking the grids. I don't know if the dealer would say it would not be covered because they assumed people damaged the grids while cleaning them. Has anyone had that problem when getting it repaired? If they would not cover it, I would just repair it myself with one of those kits. I have repaired them in the past but if I could get them to do it I would since i got the extended warranty on the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,226 Posts
I have not but I suggest you ask the dealer since it's their call. It all depends on your particular dealer and their attitude.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I once discovered an open defogger conductor on my Mazda Tribute within a week of purchasing it. I returned it to the dealer, and they used one of the kits to repair it. The repair lasted for the several years that I owned the vehicle.

I know of some people who complained that the dealer used a kit to make a warranty repair. They expected a totally new window to be installed. But the kit repair will last the life of the vehicle, and it eliminates the possibility of adding scratches and possible water leaks which could occur during glass replacement.

Although you could do the repair yourself for only a few dollars, and less than 10 minutes, it might be wise to let the dealer do it, just to have it on record in case further problems develop.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
A break in the defroster grid is like getting a small dent. It's considered use and typically not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your input. I may call the dealer to confirm if they cover the defogger grids under warranty.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
Yes, I got my rear glass replaced under warranty because of a bad defroster. Mine had 2 lines at the bottom that didn't heat. At first they tried to tell me those lines were an antenna of some kind, but luckily I had taken a picture with my phone showing that the bottom line was heating, then the 2 next ones up were not:

You can read my posts in this thread, scroll down to see the outcome:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...les-canada-january-am-i-crazy.html#post855050

1 - 7 of 7 Posts