Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
This is my first time and I'm a complete novice so please excuse the lack of correct terminology. I've lurked for years and this wonderful forum has helped me out time and again but now I think the odds are against me. The situation is this:
1997 5-door much loved battered family car. The rear demister has been running on only two bars for some time but I assumed that was because of dog scratches etc. However, recently it gave up the ghost completely. Multimeter reading to the power supply gives me 0.04 so it seems there is no power getting through. The light on the switch on the dash is working and the switch gets warm (should it?). All fuses under the steering wheel have been pulled, tested and put back - all fine (although the one for the demister is a 7.5 when the diagram says it should be a 20 - puzzling).
Additional symptoms, which may or may not be related: blower fan plugged into cigarette lighter has blown a fuse somewhere, but not inside the cockpit, and now the lighter socket doesn't work. Door open chime and cockpit light are intermittent when the driver's door is open. A good while back the factory alarm kept going off so we disabled it. Central locking from the fob is intermittent too.
My conclusions are that I've got a damaged wire somewhere, and that I need to look under the bonnet for the other fuses. I have a fuse diagram for a 1999 model - is that still OK for a 1997? And could someone - slowly and clearly - tell me where the wire runs for the rear demister so that I can try to trace it for damage? The wiring diagrams mean absolutely nothing to me. Finally, if there is anyone in Kent/Sussex, England who could help if I can't solve this, please could I have their details?
Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
I think it might be the wiring. All fuses seem fine. So, please, if anyone can tell me how best to trace the wire from the rear screen to the fuse, I'd be very grateful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts