Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering everything I need to do the fluid change in the rear differential, and transfer case on my 2012 4cyl 4wd Rav. I am trying to determine the correct part number(s) for the drain and fill plug crush washers. I don't know if all 4 are the same part #, and whether they are aluminum or steel. I would think they should be aluminum for the transfer case. I have this OEM part # but am not sure these are correct: 1215710010

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
That part number fits both fill and drain plug for the rear diff. Not sure about the t/c since I have to check my notes.

All the washer is made of aluminum. Steel is too hard to use as a crush washer.

You should be able to use the crush washer a few times. I had no problem reusing mine.

If you live in the rust belt area the bolt will have a ton of rust in the center. (mainly the rear differential fill and drain bolt). The rust needs to be cleaned out plus you need to hammer the allen socket in to ensure it goes all the way to the end. If you don't do that the allen socket will not make proper contact and will round out the hole causing a big problem. Many people have found this out the hard way myself included but luckily mine was not that bad and was able to remove it.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I just checked my notes the transfer case crush washer for the fill and drain bolts are the same as the rear differential crush washer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did as you suggested, and picked up the crush washers at my Toyota dealer. BTW/ they are steel, not aluminum. I watched the parts guy open a new genuine Toyota pkg. in front of me. Part #12157-10010, I assume the smooth side goes toward the plug? Thanks for your input....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts