Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 RAV 4WD and have had to replace the drive shaft because of seized U joints. Now I have a whining noise in the diff which my mechanic says is the front bearing where the drive shaft connects. Can anyone tell me how big a job it is to replace this bearing? The car has 85000 km on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go to your Toyota Dealer!! There has been an extended warranty on this issue! it's 9 years unlimited kilometers! I just had mine done 2 weeks ago. I have a 2011 with 124,000km's on it.
I work for our Toyota Dealers sister company, and while I was there one day picking up parts I saw the parts list they installed when they replaced my bearing. It was about $1200 worth of parts alone, plus a couple hours labour. Best to get it checked out at the dealer, might end up being free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I went to my Toyota dealer as you suggested. They diagnosed the problem as I had told them and Toyota will cover the repair on a warrantee extension.
They said the parts were about $1300 and 2-3 hours labor.
Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it goes.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I'm having mine replaced under the extension next week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good to hear! I almost picked up the parts myself and had my mechanic friend do the work. Then I read some threads here about the warranty and said I'll give it a shot, what have I got to lose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts