Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After watching the “how to” video available, I decided to tackle the transfer case and rear diff fluid change in addition to the oil change on my 1998 Rav4. The prior original owner doesn’t recall ever having them serviced and the vehicle has 162,000 miles. The transfer case was easy enough since I filled it through the dipstick.

When I got to the rear diff, I discovered that the axel flange is positioned in such a way that I can’t get the hex bit in to remove the fill plug. Headed to auto zone to see if there is a low profile hex bit available, but I thought I would see if anyone else has run into this and how you resolved it? Photos attached for reference

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
You just need to move the car bit by bit until a gap in the flange is over the plug. You'll need a short extension and a hammer too.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
That looks badly rusted. Make sure you clean that hex hole well otherwise you will round out the hex hole. Also make sure the hex bit is all the way down the bottom of the hole by taping it in with a hammer. Many people round the hole because the bit is not fully seated inside. Also put lots of penetrating oil on the bolt.

You may also want to replace both plugs and get new washers since the condition looks bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like a complete idiot. It never occurred to me that the flange rotated.....for some reason I assumed it was stationary. I was gonna give it a go this afternoon...but I think DL175 is correct...I should procure new plugs and washers first !

Thanks all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not...those plugs came out with a minimal amount of effort...though I did douse them pretty thoroughly with WD40 and allowed them to sit for 24 hours. They did not strip out, and I felt comfortable enough in their integrity to reuse them. Now both my transfer case and rear diff have fresh Valvoline Syn 75-90. I could swear the car is rolling better...but I am sure that is just in my head!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts