Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rear differential in my 2008 RAV4 is lightly leaking and I hear a bit of a whistle. Before going so far as replacing the pinion & axle seals I’d like to start with replacing the vent because it’s seized up. However, I can’t find any information on properly removing it and I can’t get a good look at it without dropping the whole differential. Any tips/advice?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Properly fix is to drop the differential. However that's just one of the two breathers, that's the pressure relief valve (check valve). There is another vacuum relief that is routed inside the cab.

An quick alternative would be to make a relief valve from the fill port with an barb adapter and a hose strapped above the top of the diff.
Was discussed here on forum and member DL175 did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Properly fix is to drop the differential. However that's just one of the two breathers, that's the pressure relief valve (check valve). There is another vacuum relief that is routed inside the cab.

An quick alternative would be to make a relief valve from the fill port with an barb adapter and a hose strapped above the top of the diff.
Was discussed here on forum and member DL175 did it.
Thanks for directing me to that thread!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wyatt, go to my thread where I did a mod to the breather valve.
I just had a chance to take a quick look at your thread, really great idea and I think I might give it a go. Quick question though -- when you put the plug in that compartment in the back of the car, did you get any moisture/signs of oil residue in the storage compartment? It seems like over time small amounts of moisture would add up but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I just had a chance to take a quick look at your thread, really great idea and I think I might give it a go. Quick question though -- when you put the plug in that compartment in the back of the car, did you get any moisture/signs of oil residue in the storage compartment? It seems like over time small amounts of moisture would add up but I could be wrong.
Wyatt, I had this mod done a week ago and so far I have been checking almost every day. There is no residue or moisture build up. I have not driven this car too far but the weather here is super hot like 30C and with humidity 35C to 40C. So that would mean the pressure in the rear differential should be building high temperature. No smell or residue so far. Even if there is some moisture the hot exhaust will blow it past the new breather valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh okay good. Can you keep me posted over the next week or two if anything changes? I’d like to know cause I’m making a pretty long drive up to school in a few weeks and I’d hate for moisture to build up during the 10 hour + drive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts