Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the Rear Differential Breather is solid and the rubber top is not moving at all, I see some leaks when the Differential get hot too.So, I checked the plug by my finger and it is not moving or playing. Just wondering if any one had dealt with this issue? I looked at the part number 9093003170 online and the Plug looks round ( then how I can open the old one to replace with new one? I cant see any thread on part too and there is no nut shape!!!) Has any one had fixed this issue before? should I spray cleaner/or WD40 over the Plug and leave it for a while and then try to move the Rubber part by finger to start breath again? (just try to make it work again)

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or any body knows in normal condition, the Cap suppose to move a bit loose? or have to be tight? the Cap that I am touching with finger is Hard tight ... I think that shoul dbe a bit loose...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Where is your diff leaking? Out of the side or front pinon seal? When you open the fill plug do you get a whoosh sound.

Typically the breather top should move a bit. But I am not sure about these weird press on breathers. It might not be the one-way valve type breather that is use on all other toyota trucks. On all of toyota's trucks the diff breather is threaded on. The RAV 4 one is somehow pressed on and I am not sure it is replaceable or even more than just a vent with no on-way mechanism. I can look tonight to see if mine moves.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is your diff leaking? Out of the side or front pinon seal? When you open the fill plug do you get a whoosh sound.

Typically the breather top should move a bit. But I am not sure about these weird press on breathers. It might not be the one-way valve type breather that is use on all other Toyota trucks. On all of Toyota's trucks the diff breather is threaded on. The RAV4 one is somehow pressed on and I am not sure it is replaceable or even more than just a vent with no one-way mechanism. I can look tonight to see if mine moves.
Thanks for comment... I saw it the bottom of differential was wet, I cannot say whee it was coming from but 100% sure it is not coming from pinion shaft (the connection to the front). I changed the oil on rear this weekend with Valvoline 75-90, I could not hear a compressed gas release (to be honest, that was too tight to open, the oil was really dark, but I did not see that much metal powder on drain magnet). but when I touch that breather by finger it is tight and very solid with no move. looking at the repair manual and the spare part, I am sure that breather is not threaded, manual saying use chisel to remove it, so that must be a hammer fit part. if that was threaded I would open it and check it.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I was told by one member that the breather cap can only be removed if you lower the rear differential.

If the breather cap does not move then it is likely seize due to rust.

As for the installation I would think using a deep socket that fits over the edge to pound the edge in but not hitting the cap itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told by one member that the breather cap can only be removed if you lower the rear differential.

If the breather cap does not move then it is likely seize due to rust.

As for the installation I would think using a deep socket that fits over the edge to pound the edge in but not hitting the cap itself.
Thanks for comment.... Do you mean I have to Drop the Differential in order to change the breather? I agree for installation of new breather to pund on socket, but I am try to make it work without removal and installation which will be mechanic job...I can not rotate the tip and even not a bit clearance on tip. I seen other made cars breathers are slightly loose head, even you can hear ratteling noise if you shake them. this one is rigid tight

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thanks for comment.... Do you mean I have to Drop the Differential in order to change the breather? I agree fo rinstallation to pund on socket, but I am try to make it work without removal and installation which will be mechanic job...I can not rotate the tip and even not a bit clearance on tip. I seen other made cars breathers are slightly loose had, even you can hear ratteling if you shake them. this one is rigid tight :)
Yes you need to lower the rear differential but there is no other easy way.

If your breather cap can't be moved then the rust have taken over and is seize.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally It is fixed now.... After few days spraying Penetrating oil every day after coming back from the work to the Breather and try to turun it by finger... yesterday.. I sprayed oil again and this time I put my raugh tip gloves on ( should not be slippery or soft ones), then tried to turn it, after couple of tries.. finally the head start to turn..... drove the car and checked again, can not see any more drop ( yesterday the F. weather here was hot (18) after 6 month ... oh my god)..... I hope that is fixed. Just shared this .. might help some one and save couple of hundreds for an easy fix before going to Stealers..... Now I am looking to find the front one ( transmission breather) to make sure the breather working properly. Dealer changed my selas 2 years ago, while doing the cylinder head recall, If I had more knowledge at that time, I would check that before letting them do it and charging me $1200.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would try to replace that breather with your mileage. I was advised by a toyota tech to change that vent before my seals start leaking, He sad it was common to cause seals to go bad by getting seized and not allowing the pressure to vent.
Below is a thread that I replied to on this forum about it.....It's not "easy" to change but you can do it at home.

Originally Posted by DL175
How did you put it on ? Did you hammer it down or just twist on or what? How can you tell if the vent was seized solid? Lastly how hard is it to lower the differential ... a few bolts ?

We used a socket big enough to press on the lip of the vent. By supporting the diff you can then use a large pry bar on the socket and pres it in. It goes in fairly tight. Use some WD40 on it to help it slide in.

If you can't turn the top part, it's seized. Try the new one and you will see.

Remove the 4 large bolts that support the diff and lower it a little to access the vent. It's way in the back. After you remove the drive shaft first of course. (loosen the center driveshaft support, loosen the 4 bolts holding the shaft on , then lower it out of the way. Kevin

·
Super Moderator
9,442 Posts
Keep in mind that the actual venting doesn't happen anywhere near the breather fixture but via a hose and as I recall maybe a pipe that's attached to the breather and then routes quite a ways upward near the gas filler pipe.

This is all from memory when I replaced the whole rear subframe a few months ago and swapped the differential over to the replacement subframe. Point is that a restriction or leak anywhere along the vent path could cause issues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 08 with an 14 engine has a breather just like the picture of one that the thread starter posted. It doesn't have a breather hose attached to it , which I agree it should.

The diff has to be lowered a little to access it and the breather pried out. Then a new one is pressed in gently with a socket and hammer or pry bar. They don't just fall in either. After you seat one in, it sure won't fall out.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am new to this thread and thank god i came across to this website. i start doing my diy since i had a bad experience with a dealership. needless to say it helped a lot. few weeks ago i saw the the thread about the leaking differential - two dealerships quoted me for almost 1800$. so i was reading about checking the breather and thankfully it worked.

yes it was hard to locate where the breather but once i knew where it was i tried figuring out how to spray it with a penetrating oil. ( i bought the BRAKLEEN BRAKE PARTS CLEANER ) i used the red straw that came with it but did not help because it was just keep popping out. i tried spraying it to my gloves and immediately rub the breather but that was not working.. so i decided to get a small towel spray it and made sure its soaked enough; then locate the breather and covered it - make sure you squeeze and rotate the cloth to make sure its really getting through the breather. left the cloth about 10-15mins then repeat about 3x.

after the third time i wipe all the oil around the differential and clean it a bit. i thought i was about to do it again the next day since hamid2535 said he did few times but i guess i am lucky enough i did it only for one day. so its been 4 days now that i am not seeing any leak on our garage floor.

maybe next week i will try to diy and change the differential oil i found a good step by step on you tube.

also make sure you are wearing a mask the smell from brakleen is not great and gave me a few headache

thanks hamid2535 and thanks to this discussion group.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
i am new to this thread and thank god i came across to this website. i start doing my diy since i had a bad experience with a dealership. needless to say it helped a lot. few weeks ago i saw the the thread about the leaking differential - two dealerships quoted me for almost 1800$. so i was reading about checking the breather and thankfully it worked.

yes it was hard to locate where the breather but once i knew where it was i tried figuring out how to spray it with a penetrating oil. ( i bought the BRAKLEEN BRAKE PARTS CLEANER ) i used the red straw that came with it but did not help because it was just keep popping out. i tried spraying it to my gloves and immediately rub the breather but that was not working.. so i decided to get a small towel spray it and made sure its soaked enough; then locate the breather and covered it - make sure you squeeze and rotate the cloth to make sure its really getting through the breather. left the cloth about 10-15mins then repeat about 3x.

after the third time i wipe all the oil around the differential and clean it a bit. i thought i was about to do it again the next day since hamid2535 said he did few times but i guess i am lucky enough i did it only for one day. so its been 4 days now that i am not seeing any leak on our garage floor.

maybe next week i will try to diy and change the differential oil i found a good step by step on you tube.

also make sure you are wearing a mask the smell from brakleen is not great and gave me a few headache

That is good to hear that this forum was of helpful in saving you big bucks. ($1800 to be exact)

As for the rear differential I can give you a few helpful tips.
1. Ensure you clean the hex hole of any rust. Use a hammer to drive the hex socket all the way in to the end. This ensures your hex socket will not round out the hole.
2. The exhaust will be in the way for the fill bolt. Use a 2 inch extension to get the necessary clearance.
3. Use something like a transfer pump to fill your gear oil. Lubricate inside the pump with some oil so it does not stick.
4. Ensure you fill your differential on a level surface and do not overfill. The seal will leak if you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you DL175 so after reading your helpful tips and doing some research i need to buy a torque wrench? can you please recommend me what's a good one or what you use? also, when you say don't over fill it and make sure it's on the level surface?; so is it like this __0 <-- __ (oil) 0 (fill hole)? (passenger side is the fill hole and driver side is the drain hole?)

i saw one youtube video and he said that just stick your pinky on the fill hole? (isnt thats bad because dirt might go in?) is there any measurement like 1 qt or something just to be sure i am not over filling it? lastly what oil should i use for the 2009 2.5 L 4-cylinder 4WD 09 Rav4? again thank you in advance and sorry for too many question..

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
thank you DL175 so after reading your helpful tips and doing some research i need to buy a torque wrench? can you please recommend me what's a good one or what you use? also, when you say don't over fill it and make sure it's on the level surface?; so is it like this __0 <-- __ (oil) 0 (fill hole)? (passenger side is the fill hole and driver side is the drain hole?)

i saw one youtube video and he said that just stick your pinky on the fill hole? (isnt thats bad because dirt might go in?) is there any measurement like 1 qt or something just to be sure i am not over filling it? lastly what oil should i use for the 2009 2.5 L 4-cylinder 4WD 09 Rav4? again thank you in advance and sorry for too many question..
Q: need to buy a torque wrench? can you please recommend me what's a good one or what you use?
No you don't need a torque wrench, I go by feel. If you want you can buy one since you can always use it for the oil change which you need for sure. I have this one but mainly for oil changes.

Q: when you say don't over fill it and make sure it's on the level surface?; so is it like this __0 <-- __ (oil) 0 (fill hole)?
When you fill the gear oil the surface must be level to ensure you get an accurate reading. If you over fill it ensure any excess oil drips out. You should either use ramps or jack stand since it is hard to work under the car. I use ramps which is easy to use. I fill it when it is on the ramp and lower the car to the ground and let all the excess oil flow out. I wait until it stops dripping.

Q: passenger side is the fill hole and driver side is the drain hole?
The fill hole is on the top and the drain hole is on the bottom. You need a 2 inch extension to clear the exhaust pipe for you to open the fill hole. Always remove the fill plug first. In the event you can't remove the fill plug and strip the hole then you can't drive the car since you drain all the oil. Don't forget to hammer the hex socket in so it goes all the way into the end of the hole. You don't want to round the hole because of the rust.

Q: i saw one youtube video and he said that just stick your pinky on the fill hole? (isnt thats bad because dirt might go in?)
I suggest you clean the fill hole area first and wear latex glove.

Q: is there any measurement like 1 qt or something just to be sure i am not over filling it?
The gear oil usually comes in a 1 quart plastic bottle. Many of those bottles (Mobile 1 for example) have a clear side window where you can see how much is left. Since you need to use half I would mark a line in the middle.

Q: what oil should i use for the 2009 2.5 L 4-cylinder 4WD 09 Rav4?
I recommend a synthetic gear oil like 75W90. I use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You Are welcome, I am Glad to see my post helps you, I am a victim of paying $1200 front Transmission leak that I beleive could be fixed by same method, But I did not know about it till read here :wink

·
Registered
140 Posts
we lifted the vehicle last night just to check the breather, we just replaced the fluids last weekend.

The Rear Differential and Transfer Case breather is not stuck but not moving freely either hehe sort of in the middle.. we did all the recommendation and have the breather cleaned a bit

anyone knows if the transaxle have a breather too? just wondering if that one is stuck and causing the transaxle seal to leak. Wanted to make sure before we tackle that axle seal replacement heheh

I tried to look of it but it's really tight. I noticed a hose coming from the TransAxle with some sort of plastic breather at the end, it has an A letter at the end. It's near the Transmissions dip Stick area (just beside the battery. sorry forgot to take a picture, will try when I get home). We cleaned that one too as it's not moving freely either and really dirty. Not sure what that this is though.. trying to find on the forum if someone traced that hose. :D

EDIT:
found this: part number 9093003149 which is connected to a hose coming from the transmissions. just don't know where in the actual car it goes/
https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/p/Toyota__/PLUG-SUB-ASSEMBLY--BREATHER-PLUG-SUB-ASSEMBLY--BREATHER-FOR-TRANSMISSION-PLUG--AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-CASE-PLUG--BREATHER--No1-ATM-PLUG--BREATHER--No1/47981700/9093003149.html

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing the breather on mine, and i'm starting to think I might be in trouble!

tried to remove the drive shaft, the middle support bracket is off, and the 4 bolts that attach it to the electric coupler… but it won't come off like it's seized to the coupler…

so I still managed to drop the differential about 1,5" by removing the 4 big bolts that support it, manage to reach it with vise grips, it was stuck rusted on solid, played with it, and only the cap came off!(with the little spring and rubber disc inside for those wondering how it's made inside) not the base…

what's the best way to remove the base of the breather? tried again with vise grips and a pry bar, and no luck… put some more penetrating oil, and decided to grab a beer…

1 - 20 of 24 Posts