Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing the breather on mine, and i'm starting to think I might be in trouble!

tried to remove the drive shaft, the middle support bracket is off, and the 4 bolts that attach it to the electric coupler… but it won't come off like it's seized to the coupler…

so I still managed to drop the differential about 1,5" by removing the 4 big bolts that support it, manage to reach it with vise grips, it was stuck rusted on solid, played with it, and only the cap came off!(with the little spring and rubber disc inside for those wondering how it's made inside) not the base…

what's the best way to remove the base of the breather? tried again with vise grips and a pry bar, and no luck… put some more penetrating oil, and decided to grab a beer…
I saw the mechanic take off my rear driveshaft and he was using a lift to get better leverage and long ratchets. I think you really need to get that driveshaft off so the rear differential can move. Glad I never tackle taking off the driveshaft since you never know what problems you may encounter.

I would try using a long flat screwdriver or chisel and pry upwards on the breather cap. The breather cap is just pressed in with something like a socket. Even if you have it off I think there is little room to tap it down with enough force. The driveshaft is hampering things.

Don't kill yourself getting this off. If you can't get the breather off take it to the mechanic. I don't think it takes that long to with a lift.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I saw the mechanic take off my rear driveshaft and he was using a lift to get better leverage and long ratchets. I think you really need to get that driveshaft off so the rear differential can move. Glad I never tackle taking off the driveshaft since you never know what problems you may encounter.

I would try using a long flat screwdriver or chisel and pry upwards on the breather cap. The breather cap is just pressed in with something like a socket. Even if you have it off I think there is little room to tap it down with enough force. The driveshaft is hampering things.

Don't kill yourself getting this off. If you can't get the breather off take it to the mechanic. I don't think it takes that long to with a lift.
worked on the driveshafts some more and a couple of soft hammer hits to the part that bolts up (not the knuckle) and bam, I was in business, gave me another 1,5" to work… I used a wood chisel and it popped off after a couple of wacks.

like you said, not much room to put the new one back on, with the side of a small hammer I was able to pound it 3/4 of the way down… it's gonna stay like that. Now I understand why the dealer was quoting me so much to take off the diffrential completely off to change the breather valve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed the Rear Differential Breather is solid and the rubber top is not moving at all, I see some leaks when the Differential get hot too.So, I checked the plug by my finger and it is not moving or playing. Just wondering if any one had dealt with this issue? I looked at the part number 9093003170 online and the Plug looks round ( then how I can open the old one to replace with new one? I cant see any thread on part too and there is no nut shape!!!) Has any one had fixed this issue before? should I spray cleaner/or WD40 over the Plug and leave it for a while and then try to move the Rubber part by finger to start breath again? (just try to make it work again)
After changing seals twice ( $ ) and realised that the problem vas coming from the breather on the top of the differential ( not easy to reach) I made a hole in the thrunk over the breather. Easy to doo whih a hole saw of 2 1/8 inches for door handle. After to unlock the breather I used a plastic waterpipe (pex of 1/2 inch). It fit tight over the breather. You just have to turn and moove it a little bit to have it free and breathe again. I do it to or three times a year and no more leaks! You can plug the hole with aluminium tape, so the next time you reach te breather easily.

Claude

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
After changing seals twice ( $ ) and realised that the problem vas coming from the breather on the top of the differential ( not easy to reach) I made a hole in the thrunk over the breather. Easy to doo whih a hole saw of 2 1/8 inches for door handle. After to unlock the breather I used a plastic waterpipe (pex of 1/2 inch). It fit tight over the breather. You just have to turn and moove it a little bit to have it free and breathe again. I do it to or three times a year and no more leaks! You can plug the hole with aluminium tape, so the next time you reach te breather easily.

Claude
How did you figure where to cut the hole so it is exactly over the breather valve? Do you have pictures?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts