Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a used 07 rav4 4wd 2.4l. It has around 450,000kms on it. I am getting the growling and whining noise from the differential. I was just wondering if it is still covered by the recall to get it fixed for free? I don't really want to piss more money away on it if I do t have to if you know what I mean lol.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
No recall and the extended coverage has expired long ago. Check if there is a leak at the rear differential.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there's a leak in the rear differential. But who knows of there's any fluid left in it lol. I tried to change the fluid in it awhile ago. But the fill plug is stripped and I can't get it out. I tried to weld a nut and it just kept snapping off. I also think the drive shaft is toast on it. It vibrates like a mother Falkner when letting off the gas at about 100kmh.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I don't think there's a leak in the rear differential. But who knows of there's any fluid left in it lol. I tried to change the fluid in it awhile ago. But the fill plug is stripped and I can't get it out. I tried to weld a nut and it just kept snapping off. I also think the drive shaft is toast on it. It vibrates like a mother Falkner when letting off the gas at about 100kmh.
Do not drive at high speed with a worn driveshaft. It will damage the transmission. I bet the rear u-joint is seize. I suggest you replace that driveshaft asap to prevent further problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi I bought a used 07 rav4 4wd 2.4l. It has around 450,000kms on it. I am getting the growling and whining noise from the differential. I was just wondering if it is still covered by the recall to get it fixed for free? I don't really want to piss more money away on it if I do t have to if you know what I mean lol.
so how is the body???
if it is in real good shape....
stop driving it till you get it looked at.!
it could all be u joint issues or something else.
if you are not a pro mechanic phone a friend for help...
we get them all of the time in the shop where it maybe something simple that sounds like heck...
even brakes sticking!
i have one of those in the shop right now waiting for a cooler day.
all of the parts landed today for that project.

drive shaft is a BIG thing to check on all Toyotas with over 200k miles.
check it close!!
upgrade to the grease able u joints and use the synthetic grease.
and grease them every oil change (modern oil change is 5000-6000 miles on synthetic oils or longer)

at that 270k miles pull the diff cover and inspect with an reverse dial.
that will let you know if it is an diff issue.
maybe a new ring pinion set with all the new bearings and a pro setup on the diff would be the trick thing.

rav's are worth money if they are in good shape.
so if you bought it cheap, and the body is in real good shape.
spend some bucks getting it ready for winter!

·
Registered
140 Posts
yup it can be a real problem!
i did a ford last fall that the drive shaft bad ate the trans bearings and the rear diff bearings clear out to the wheel bearings.
2 wheel drive texas truck.
dorman had a whole new drive shaft for 500 bucks shipped.
couple of grand in parts and it was like new!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not worth that kinda money if you ask me. I already dropped about $1500 on new break pads calipers and rotors on it also put new stabilizer links on the back because 1 was broken . It drove fine until the breaks got put on. I only spent $700 for the car a year ago. Don't really have the money at the moment for another vehicle due to the current cost of living in this country if you know what I mean lol. Would I be able to just take the driveshaft off and drive with 2wd instead of 4wd. Until I get the Mon to fix it properly then?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4 Limited 3.5L V6 (2GR_FE) with tow package and 4WD
4 Posts
I had a very similar issue in my 07 Limited V6, where there was a substantial growling noise coming from the rear differential. I asked around and I was told that it could be one or both of the two bearings in the coupler, which is mounted to the differential. I've heard these called coupler bearings or pinion bearings, but I may be misnaming them. I removed the drive shaft and the coupler, replaced the larger of the two because after getting my hands on them, it was obvious which one was bad. One was smooth and quiet, while the other was gritty feeling to say the least. I used a press to install the new one, and put it all back together. The noise was gone after this job was completed.

Note: I changed my differential fluid (75W-90) before trying to replace the coupler bearing, but the noise remained until the bad bearing was removed.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
It's not worth that kinda money if you ask me. I already dropped about $1500 on new break pads calipers and rotors on it also put new stabilizer links on the back because 1 was broken . It drove fine until the breaks got put on. I only spent $700 for the car a year ago. Don't really have the money at the moment for another vehicle due to the current cost of living in this country if you know what I mean lol. Would I be able to just take the driveshaft off and drive with 2wd instead of 4wd. Until I get the Mon to fix it properly then?
Yes you can take it off and drive with out the driveshaft. There is no oil that comes out. There is just bolts on each end and the middle of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a bearing in the rear diff that can be replaced without doing the entire coupler. She with a local transmission shop to see if they can swap just the bearing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a tapered rubber plug , drilled it out , then pressed in a brass barbed coupler, to install to the gear oil pump/jug..

after draining, thread your rubber bunger in and pump gear oil in👍😎

1 - 16 of 16 Posts