Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just a little back ground. I have a 2002 AWD Automatic Rav. About a year ago we found a leak in the Rear Diff. Fixed the leak but have no idea how long it was running on low oil. About 6 months ago a whirring sound started in the rear diff, a friend told me probably just a bearing going bad. Two weeks ago loud band and now a clanking sound. When you are pushing the gas no sound, but when you take your foot off the gas clanking sound. I took it to a mechanic, he thinks "it probably broke a tooth inside the differential don't worry about it." My wife and kids drive in the car so this is not an option. I'm currently looking at bone yards for a used differential assembly. But I cant tell if mine is locking or none locking. How do I tell the difference. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't drive it, at least not much or very fast. It f there are loose parts in the diff, and there sounds like there are, it could completely lock up on you while driving. That would be extremely dangerous. I grew up in a speed shop with lots of muscle cars, and I have seen it happen more than once.
You can tell a locking diff by turning one outside rear tire, if the other tire turns the other way, it is not. I do not know about external markings on the diff itself. Most of the changes are indside. You could pull the back cover, but you would have to know what you are looking at. I would not worry about finding a locking diff unless you are a serious off-roader. You would be fine on the street or snow or ice. It makes less difference there.
PS: I have the same whirring noise going on in my front AWD transfer case, also due to an oil leak and no oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts