Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of buying a 06 rav4..... am concerned about the acess, or lack of, to the rear w/ the door swinging outward.....should this be a concern?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
If you're loading from the curb, it's a pita, also access will be restricted if you have a bike rack or pull a trailer. Other than that, I'm getting used to it. I miss the lift hatches and lifting rear window that I've had in the past, tho, they're great for hauling long cargo, but that's what roof racks are for!! I hauled some 8' lumber yesterday, was prepared to load it on the roof, but it fit inside with the left rear seat folded and the lumber lying on the console diagonally.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I read all the automotive critics and I thought "how dumb of Toyota." But, it's no big deal in reality.

They all wrote it would be a hassle loading it from the curb.

I find 99.9% of the time I am parked in a parking lot at Best Buy, or Lowe's, or Wal-mart. America hasn't parked (routinely) and done their shopping on Main Street USA since the malls & big boxes ran the little man out of business decades ago.

So, buy your RAV4 and enjoy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Or if you're like me, and live on a one way street, park on the appropriate curb.....you'll never have a problem!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've found that how much of an issue the side-swinging door is depends on how I'm parked at the time. It isn't a problem IF you've parked in such a way that there's enough room behind the vehicle to open it (since it needs a fair bit of room to swing open), AND you don't want to load/unload cargo to or from the right side of the vehicle.

So it does need a little extra thought on certain occasions as to how you want to park it. The door on my 2000 is prone to blowing closed on you on windy days, but newer models probably have doors that are better at staying open.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmorton said:
... it does need a little extra thought on certain occasions as to how you want to park it.
Quite true, specially when pulling in inside my garage/laundry room/gym/workshop. If I need to get things from the back and the garage door is closed, I need to either open the garage door then open the swing door or fold the rear seat down and crawl. It's a good thing those things fold down real easy. I do have to decide ahead of time to either park rear-in or front-in first. No biggie really.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, a lot of (at least european) reviews mention how the doors cant be completly open. yes, they can.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that’s a gripe I’ve heard. It’s only a problem if you live in the city and often park on the street. It’s not really an issue if you live in the ‘burbs.

As long as the tire is on the outside, you’ll get a side swinging rear gate. I suspect that Toyota will eventually move the tire inside, like on the Highlander.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't doubt it, kc456. But let me ask all 4.3 owners w/o 3rd row seats: what would you rather have: the spare on the rear door allowing the huge storage space under the cargo deck or giving up the storage space to get the tire off the read door?

Apparently some countries have no spare but rather run-flat tires instead. I wonder if that would ever come to NA? Seems there's no good place to put that darn spare!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spare Tire

I don't mind the spare tire on the back ... I love the cargo room. It's great to pack groceries. Especially if you're making more than one shopping stop. Can't wait to go camping and pack everything in!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
more room inside and spare out back for me..

bcbob said:
I wouldn't doubt it, kc456. But let me ask all 4.3 owners w/o 3rd row seats: what would you rather have: the spare on the rear door allowing the huge storage space under the cargo deck or giving up the storage space to get the tire off the read door?

Apparently some countries have no spare but rather run-flat tires instead. I wonder if that would ever come to NA? Seems there's no good place to put that darn spare!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like my spare on the back and my extra storage space under the deck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rear door

Well in our case the RAV4's swinging rear door works out better than a rear door that would either swing up or swing open right to left.
We pullin and park the RAV4 on the right side in our garage while my F150 is parked on the left side. The entry door from the garage into the house is exactly centered between the two vehicles, lined up perfectly with the isle that is made between the two vehicles.

Unloading of groceries etc from the rear works out perfectly as the RAV4's door swings out away from the isle between the vehicles so theres no obstructions or door to walk around :D

It's funny in that I've always parked on the left side and the Mrs on right. It's worked out every time no matter what vehicles we've parked in there :D

Volfandt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts