Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door open light is coming on in my dash intermittently. I have narrowed it down to being the back door. I have looked things over and do not see any adjustments on how tight the door closes. Does anyone know if there is anyway to adjust how tight the door closes, or if maybe the switch has an adjustment on how far it sticks out from the door frame?

·
Registered
137 Posts
there is a little plunger switch that detects whether the door is open/closed.
one of the switches is probably going flaky. work the plunger in/out (wiggle it) if it doesnt clear up.. the switch is like 12$ replace it.. the door itself is probably shutting fine.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
As Marion mentioned, there is a plunger switch on the rear door frame. The door itself has a rubber bumper plug in that location that pushes the switch. When I got my RAV back after a repair, the cargo light was staying on. Turns out the body shop forgot to put that rubber plug back. It's also easy to knock off when you're loading or unloading. If it is there, maybe it's worn down. You can get a replacement that's slightly taller from most auto parts places.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Marion mentioned, there is a plunger switch on the rear door frame. The door itself has a rubber bumper plug in that location that pushes the switch. When I got my RAV back after a repair, the cargo light was staying on. Turns out the body shop forgot to put that rubber plug back. It's also easy to knock off when you're loading or unloading. If it is there, maybe it's worn down. You can get a replacement that's slightly taller from most auto parts places.
I knew there was a switch which is actually functioning properly. Has full smooth range of motion. I did not however see the rubber bumper on the door that presses against it. I will have a look for this and see if it is worn or missing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured the problem out on the weekend, replaced the rubber bumper on the door and then thought I would turn the door latch on the body around as it is identical on both sides and figured the steel might be worn slightly on the striker side as it is 10 years old now. Grabbed a torx socket and ratchet, went to loosen the screws and what do you know, they were already slightly loosened allowing extra movement in the door when closed. Turned the striker over, applied some Locktite to the threads and tightened everything back up. Door feels much more secure and the light stays out now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the fix. Maybe I should check those torx screws on mine....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts