Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I`m looking to modify my rear door (5 Door XT4) I want to change the small hinge door opening bracket to the longer bracket that is used in America thus enabling the rear door to open 90 degrees. I would then put a rear red light inset into the door so as it can be seen when the door is fully open.
I do not know why Toyota did not do something like this for the European market? I can`t get one here in England.
Any help or ideas where I can purchase this longer bracket from?
If I had a drawing of the bracket I could purchase the smaller one here & modify that.

Regards

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well as I`ve had no takers I just thought I`d let you know that I have been informed from another RAV4 forum that the bracket is part no:68650-42040 it is 25mm longer than the U/K bracket & my local Toyota garage actualy had one in stock it cost £62-50 including VAT. I`m well chuffed!
I pick up my RAV4 XT4 (Carbon Quartz) with privicy glass & rear sensors in 2 weeks. I`m not sure about the new RAV4`s & wanted to get one of the old stock before they stoped making them. This will be my 3rd RAV4 & I have just part exchanged my Lexus RX300-SE for it. The Lexus in my opinion is not as good as the RAV!!!!!
The hand/foot brake is a real pain in traffic. I`ve only had it 5 months & my wife won`t even drive it! I chopped in my RAV X3 for the Lexus & it was a mistake!
Regards to all.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Door

Sorry, I've only just seen your posting.
I did this mod a few years ago - bought mine in The Netherlands.
It's easy to install, but you'll need someone to hold the door.

There were some fitting instructions from "Pete" a while ago.
If you can't find them and would like a copy, just let me know and I can e-mail the files to you.

The reason is a UK regulatory thing - mustn't obscure the tail & hazard lights when the door is open. Other RHD countries don't seem to mind about this and their door opens the whole way.
I've put a strip of reflective tape all the way down the edge of the rear door.

I often carry a car-full of kit to exhibitions and it makes a really big difference to me to be able to open the rear door the whole way.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi parbrook
I`ve found the info supplied by "Pete" after doing a search. This is a great forum.
Thanx for the reply.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Relative Neighbours

Ha - just noticed that you are also in Somerset :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
back door arm

thanks guys ive been looking for a extended arm for my 2002 rav,have now seen your part no ,off to order one from my local dealer now......THANK YOU

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one jamie
It`s really easy to fit & while I was at it I put insulation on the rear door. Instead of Dynamat I used Wickes "Hi Tack Flashing"
I`m just doing the 4 doors & installing better speakers.
Let us no when you`ve done.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on this thread! I have just ordered a new XTR with the condition the long hinge is fitted to the car. The Toyota salesman had never heard of this, informing previous punters that +75 degrees opening is not possible. After looking it up in the part s dept they were happy to do the mod if it ensured a sale! It appears that Mr T's are wanting offload the RAVs as quickly as pos with dealers prepared to negotiate well-below, the already, £1k reduction to the XTR price. My advice is to find a dealer who hasn't sold their quota and drive hard bargain. I got chrome collection mats, flaps, rear liner thrown in. All-in-all over £1k cheaper than the dealer down the road who appears to have sold their quota & wouldn't budge!

·
Registered
59 Posts
fitting entended rear door arm

hi people, today i installed the extended arm for the rear door,took about an hour in total,worst part is prizing off rear door plastic trim with a blunt screwdriver,20 or so plastic clips can snap off and may need replacing,then peel back plastic sheet,then with a hammer knock upwards the pin out of the bracket on the truck,the rear door is now free to move ANYWHERE so be CAREFULL if its windy!,next undo the 2 nuts on rear door,reach into the door cavity & just pull the mechanism out through the hole.slide NEW MECHANISM(correct way round)back in same way,locate arm in pin bracket,locate nut threads in 2 holes,drop & hammer pin back into bracket,put nuts back on ,re stick plastic sheet,re fit trim panel,...grease up arm so it doesnt creak.as other chap mentioned reflective tape should be applied as light cluster is now covered when door is fully open,hope this helps anybody else,very easy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is it not possible to take the door stay off the car and get someone to weld a 24 mm piece into the middle. i think that would be a lot cheaper...

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi magik that is an option I thought of. I am an engineer by trade & its possible to modify the bracket. The bracket would have to be cut & a 25mm piece welded into it, however taking in to consideration the angle/weight of the door opening etc. & not having an original to copy. I decided best to buy the proper bracket. glad I did because if any thing did happen to a modified version Mr T would invalidate my warranty. :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi xt4, my warranty runs out in march, might be worth thinking about it then...... :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts