Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions - the rear door opens kinda jerky, in 2 steps. Parking situation around here is not the best and there is always a threat of hitting another car. Have anyone done (or heard of) some hydraulic mod similar to the minivan rear door arms?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thinking the same thing. Just a matter of simple geometry in figureing out where to put the hydraulic cylinder. CRV has one on it maybe get some idea of how it functions then do it on ours. I know a place here where I can get the cylinders cheap. Just need brackets made to hold it. Think there's room at the bottom of the door for it like CRV.
Could be done. Now, do we want to? I don't know, maybe. Is it worth it?
Later.M.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The problem with gas shocks is that they are pressurized to lift something heavy, so if you were to put one on the rear door it would force the door open all the way.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good point, Jeff!!!.......I think we're all looking for something to slow or to check the door's opening.......it sure moves if the wind catches it and the factory stops don't look adequate for that big a door......I know mine's been taken by the wind once or twice. :roll:

It always reminds me of the early Chrysler mini vans, if the wind caught the front doors, it always bent the door skin near the hinges.

What we need is the closer cylinder on an aluminum storm door...or the like.... It's supposed to prevent the wind from taking it.......are they hydraulic or air resistance......maybe one of the big commercial units :wink:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The latest Honda CRV has a gas strut on the bottom of the rear door. I was looking at it today. It could be done to a Rav4.
2 options I think. The 1st would be to bolt on hinge assemblies & the 2nd is to weld on hinge assemblies but that would involve some painting afterwards.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XT4 Tinted said:
The latest Honda CRV has a gas strut on the bottom of the rear door. I was looking at it today. It could be done to a RAV4.
2 options I think. The 1st would be to bolt on hinge assemblies & the 2nd is to weld on hinge assemblies but that would involve some painting afterwards.
I like this idea... Cause I've had the door swing into me a couple of times when on a partial grade, or with some wind.

I'm thinking maybe we can find the part numbers for the CRV model, and just buy it from the dealer. I only suggest that to not have to reinvent the wheel on what type of cylinder to use. Of course the brackets will all have to custom fabbed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts